Scratches in my Window Tint

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

BlueGirlO7
INACTIVE Member Account

Scratches in my Window Tint

Postby BlueGirlO7 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:32 am

Hi all,

Just wondering how many other ppl have the same problem?

My husband bought me my car new in Nov 07 and we had the windows tinted a couple of month later within 6mth of having them done we noticed light scratches appearing so I called the company who tinted them for me and he came out and looked at it and said that it was the plastic moulds doing it to contact the dealer..
I contacted the dealer and they told me it was a manufacturing Fault and there had been a lot more complaints about the same problem and it was in with head office to get an approval for a product recall to be fixed under warranty, to just wait for the letter to come in the mail.. well the letter never arrived did it, so I called again and they said I had to contact head office fax a letter to them so I did this and yes you guessed it still no response… :x
Well now my scratches are worse (they are down to the glass now) and don’t want to have them re-tinted till the problem is fixed.

Has anyone else had the same problem?? and what was your outcome if any??

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:41 am

Unfortunately this is a known issue, mine are a tiny bit scratched only at the top and bottom.

As for the people that installed the tint I'm not sure what they can do but if it's a mitsu warranty issue then directing you to mitsu is probably what they would do.

Perhaps talk to your dealer about it and see if they can do anything further from there in regards to contacting head office and have you as the return address.

I've left mine as it is so far, so no outcome for me - but mine was tinted by the dealer so they would be the ones to fix for me.
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:47 am

It seems that mitsu is know well aware of the issue but they are still yet to fix it, my MY10 still did not come with them. Luckily my tinter knew about the issue and installed the felt for me. However I do think I have scratches on the outside of my glass from the outside window runner. I and the tinter have looked closely and it seems to have some minor scratches on the outside of the glass, does anyone else have this?

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:49 am

This is a known issue.

The fix is to put felt on the rubber strips. There are 2 kinds of felting though. One which felts just the inside and one which felt the entire rubber (and possibly cutting it back a little). The Later works better I find... as just felting the inside tends to leave glue marks!!!!!!!!!!

If your tint has manufacturer's warranty then they will replace the tint for you for free (I have Street Legal tinting on the Outlander which has been replaced 2 times and 3M on my Lancer which has yet to be scratched).
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

milobob
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby milobob » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:51 am

Guys you know what is funny? The outside rubber has felt but the insides do not!

HOW MUCH CAN YOU SAVE BY NOT DOING IT MITSU?!?!?!
2010 RenaultSport Megane RS250 Cup Trophee (Xenons+Leather+Front Parkers)

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:51 am

I haven't noticed any scratches on the outside of the glass on mine, but I'll check and let you know.

Rather than do a mass recall of Lancers now they should have the part there to be installed on the windows for new cars and people that bring it back, then they can recall it.. but it;s a pity it doesn't work like that :P
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:54 am

milobob wrote:Guys you know what is funny? The outside rubber has felt but the insides do not!

HOW MUCH CAN YOU SAVE BY NOT DOING IT MITSU?!?!?!

I will have a look at lunch, maybe the window has been scratched some other way or maybe it is just an imperfection in the glass.

BlueGirlO7
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby BlueGirlO7 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:03 pm

thanks,

havent noticed any on the outside, YET..

Unfortunatly the Tint guy didnt know about the problem when i got my car so no felt was put on..
I have contacted Mitsu so many times even when it went in for its service my husband showed them the scratches and they told him to contact head office..

My scratches started off as only small ones at the top and bottom of the 2 front windows now i have 5+ lines all the way down from the top to the bottom on both front windows and they are now starting on the back...

BlueGirlO7
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby BlueGirlO7 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:12 pm

Graham wrote:I haven't noticed any scratches on the outside of the glass on mine, but I'll check and let you know.

Rather than do a mass recall of Lancers now they should have the part there to be installed on the windows for new cars and people that bring it back, then they can recall it.. but it;s a pity it doesn't work like that :P

i know!! it doesnt cost that much really to put a bit of felt on there all they have to do is fix the problem, i was just really annoyed (my first brand new car). new car with new tint on it and it was scratched all because of the moulds on the windows... something you dont really expect to happen on a new car!!

My husband is going to put the felt on there to fix it. we have given up on mitsu fixing it..

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:31 pm

I got my car tinted at a place that new about the Lancer/OUtlander scratching issue, so they knew to cut a 2mm strip off the piece of rubber that causes the trouble. But, I am one of the lucky few that have felt on from the factory, so all's good with mine....
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:44 pm

Bandit wrote:I got my car tinted at a place that new about the Lancer/OUtlander scratching issue, so they knew to cut a 2mm strip off the piece of rubber that causes the trouble. But, I am one of the lucky few that have felt on from the factory, so all's good with mine....

Maybe the newer cars do have felt on both sides and all that is needed is to remove the piece of offending rubber like you have. I have just looked at my car and it does have felt on the outside rubber but not sure about the inside on as it is covered in aftermarket felt.

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:46 pm

My car was built in 2008. There are some older cars that randomly had felt from new, and nothing had to be cut from the doors in my car.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:58 pm

Bandit wrote:My car was built in 2008. There are some older cars that randomly had felt from new, and nothing had to be cut from the doors in my car.

That seems odd. Does anyone know where are Lancers are built for the Aus market are they all out of the one country or are they different. I know from looking at the Repco computer system that the current toyota corrolla has different brake pads depending on whether it was a Jap build or a south African build.

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:10 pm

As far as I know, all Lancers in Aus are made in Japan.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

Chubb
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Chubb » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:15 pm

Bandit wrote:As far as I know, all Lancers in Aus are made in Japan.

That is what I thought.

Return to “Interior”