Driver window seems to be coming off the track

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Driver window seems to be coming off the track

Postby Tywhiteguy » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:04 am

So yesterday I noticed my window was squealing pretty bad when I rolled it up. Didn’t know what it was but it’s been a couple weeks since it’s been washed so I figured a good cleaning might fix that. Early this morning when I was getting ready to leave for work, I rolled the window down as I let the door close and noticed a strange cracking/crunching noise. Now my automatic up/down function doesn’t work and the window seems to be falling forward towards the engine bay. It’ll only roll up a couple inches then stops leaving a 1/4” to 1” gap towards the back of the window. Took off the door card and poked around a bit but I didn’t notice anything obviously out of the ordinary. Hopefully someone has experienced this and can give me some tips.
Thanks in advance
2012 ES Sportback USDM Long Beach, CA. RA Snorkel, K&N Drop-In,Custom 2.25 catback with Flowmaster resonator+jdm 4” muffler, Gutted from rear seats back, Pioneer AVH-211EX+12” compact sub :welcome:

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Re: Driver window seems to be coming off the track

Postby lancerdarryl » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:15 pm

Sounds like the front part of the glass come out of it’s track. I’ve not seen inside a Lancer door but I would imagine the glass is attached to the winder mechanism in two places.There should be some sort of bracket attached to the glass which then fits into the winder they usually have a small wheel in them to allow the mechanism to work in a scissor action. It’s hard to explain as they look complex.Have another look in there but get someone to help you to hold the window straight while you operate it with the door card off and see what you can find. It may be the glass has separated from the bracket or the bolts/nuts have come loose or fallen off the front section of the winder. It is bolted on the inside of the door panel you may to have a bit of a feel around.Just keep your hands clear while operating the window so you don’t loose a finger.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:32 am

Quick update. A junk yard near me actually had a CJ lancer in which is pretty rare in my area so I ran down there and grabbed a regulator and quickly realized the front side of the window was completely outside the track and it actually scratched some of my tint off. Was able to pull it out and reset it. It seems to be working fine now and luckily they have a provide a warranty so I’ll be able to return the regulator.
2012 ES Sportback USDM Long Beach, CA. RA Snorkel, K&N Drop-In,Custom 2.25 catback with Flowmaster resonator+jdm 4” muffler, Gutted from rear seats back, Pioneer AVH-211EX+12” compact sub :welcome:

Mars1811
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Mars1811 » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:20 pm

Oh wow. I'm glad you got it back working again, pity about the tint.
Do you know what caused it to come off? Have the tracks worn out or something?
2011 VRX Sportback

Message me on Discord: Mars#0420
If in doubt, rev it out!

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:03 am

Can’t really tell as it’s pretty hard to see in there. But another edit: that worked for about 4 hours total then started messing up again. However I did notice that one specific arm of the regulator had some abrasion that none of the others had. Figuring it probably bent and started rubbing the inside of the door I bent it back as best I could. Now it stays on the track but I no longer have auto up or down. It does go down at full speed smoothly but, like before, it’ll only go up a few inches then I have to disengage the switch and press it again. Don’t really know what to do from here

So I posted this maybe an hour ago and, randomly, without messing with anything all of a sudden I have my auto up/down function back. It doesn’t make any sense, I swear this car is just f****ng with me at this point lol

Mars1811
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Mars1811 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:58 am

Hahahaha, gotta love shit when it does that. Computers, cars, they're all the same.
Glad to hear it's working again.
2011 VRX Sportback

Message me on Discord: Mars#0420
If in doubt, rev it out!

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:15 pm

Maaaaan, I’m confused but it’s still working so I’m not asking any questions just put my door card back on, leave it alone and enjoy simple functions I took for granted before they stopped working

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:34 pm

Yes we take power windows for granted, when I owned my CC lancer I was lucky enough to score some power window regulators from a Proton and installed them and got them working myself, also added power mirrors. So cool when you can do mods like that, looked factory as I also changed the cards and had proper switches.

The CJ is harder to work on with limited options thanks to airbags when it comes to changing seats and stuff but I'd hate to work on a new car with all the electronics you just about need a degree to do anything but change a flat tyre.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Tywhiteguy
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Tywhiteguy » Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:18 am

Nice, I was considering adding the power mirrors down the line but at this point just focusing on getting it back to a reliable car that doesn’t make noises so I can sell it without problems lol. Same, I remember when I first got the CJ I couldn’t believe I had to take the whole bumper off to take the headlight out. These new cars are awesome but without a complete walkthrough I wouldn’t even want to touch any electronics.

Rillanon
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby Rillanon » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:09 am

I had this problem but in my case the regular rail actually was bent and I had no choice but to replace it.
It was a pain in the ass and I ended up scratching the tint a bit but it works now, I made sure to add more grease to the rail to avoid this happening again.

Return to “Interior”