Replace Instrument Cluster

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Re: Replace Instrument Cluster

Postby Quismiff » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:17 am

dopey also has a MUT III... is there more we need to know about you dopey? a side from your tech wizardry, and awesomness for that dash surround :lol: (sorry I wasn't more accommodating, will have to organise another members and families catchup when this weather gets a bit nicer).

I looked at a few you tube videos for this unit that supposedly does this through the OBD port, but it is almost as expensive as a MUT unit, and doesn't change the last number correctly as most people have found with the asicc method and eprom reprogramming. Could you get around that by trying random numbers till it came up right? Saw one vid where the guy had a full on workbench with the odo cluster powered up to demonstrate the method... still more tools than i have available right now :lol:
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dopey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:38 pm

Quismiff wrote:dopey also has a MUT III... is there more we need to know about you dopey? a side from your tech wizardry, and awesomness for that dash surround :lol: (sorry I wasn't more accommodating, will have to organise another members and families catchup when this weather gets a bit nicer).

Indeed I do :lol:

Quismiff wrote:I looked at a few you tube videos for this unit that supposedly does this through the OBD port, but it is almost as expensive as a MUT unit, and doesn't change the last number correctly as most people have found with the asicc method and eprom reprogramming. Could you get around that by trying random numbers till it came up right? Saw one vid where the guy had a full on workbench with the odo cluster powered up to demonstrate the method... still more tools than i have available right now :lol:

actually I had a play with the odometer today, this time I got a reading from a lower km cluster and adjusted it up. Seemed to work with the DTC gone! I don't think having a few kms off will cause any dramas, just drive around the block a few times :lol:

The problem is being a newer cluster in an early CJ it wouldn't let me program the service schedule (as in distance/time to next service). when I plugged in the old cluster it would.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:43 pm

Interesting, my CJ is due for a service at the dealer (part of the used car extended warranty agreement, long story) Anyway its set for 135k right now and I'm pretty sure it had been changed at the last service, but I had changed my cluster over 2 years ago and its had at least 2 services in that time. No known issues with them changing the service settings. Might need to just ask them when I book it in.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Does the MUTIII unit allow you to adjust it to the exact km though? I would imagine it would as a cluster change while hopefully not required could be a possible fault for whatever reason. and also allow you to change the VIN surely?

I am curious as I have considered changing to the colour unit from an ASX or Outlander, but am hesitant given the haphazardness of changing the ODO reading, and finding one with nearly 270XXXkm is proving difficult, i mean seriously, why can't people drive their nice cars to a reasonable mileage before stacking them :lol:
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

dopey
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby dopey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:09 pm

unfortunately no, I believe you can only set it if it's under a certain number of kms, or blank. It won't allow you to change the VIN either, though it may be because it's a used cluster. or it could be because mine is an early (2008) CJ, whereas the cluster is out of a 2012 model.

I know Fords only allow you to change kms only if the cluster is reading under 25kms or something around that.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:25 pm

My cluster if from and Outlander and now just over 133000kms.

My cluster was changed by a guy I found in Brisbane, think I checked online. Anyway he could not get it exact and I think its like a few hundred kms out, wrote it down some place to keep a record. Mine had to be set back to around 106000kms, don't remember what it had on it.

Short story it can be done, might cost a bit depending who you find and you might need to sign something to say why its being wound back, if it needs to be set back.

The amazing thing I found if you could in theory get a cluster, switch it over, run the car for years then switch it back and suddenly you're in a low mileage(killermeterage?) CJ and sell it at a higher price. And its so easy to make the switch... not that I'm condoning it, its just amazingly easy to do.

UPDATE - mine is 482km less than its true reading. Still with over 133k done its nothing.

jsat
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby jsat » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:13 am

FYI
Just bought a 2015 ASX Cluster and fitted it to my 2009 Lancer Aspire
Complete Plug & Play no issues what so ever
What a Fantastic improvement
Jeff

Dongdodger
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Dongdodger » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:11 am

I threw a cluster from a 2017 vrx in a couple nights ago. Come up looking mint!
Last edited by Dongdodger on Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:36 am

Well done guys. With mmcoding writer you can get the odometer absolutely spot on when you replace it as well as set the service interval if you wish, or disable the service interval all together.
I'm more then happy with my ASX full colour

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:21 am

Is the ASX and Outlander ones different?

adamhumphrey
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby adamhumphrey » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:17 am

jsat wrote:FYI
Jeff

Did you have to correct the odometer?

bumblebee wrote:Well done guys. With mmcoding writer you can get the odometer absolutely spot on when you replace it as well as set the service interval if you wish, or disable the service interval all together.

Might have to have a look for my wife's 2008 VRX.
MY11 Evo X MR (2011-Current)
MY20 Asx GSR (2023-Current)

MY11 Peugoet 207 XT HDi (2020-Mar 2023)
MY09 Lancer Sportback VRX (2015-2019) - Sold Nov 2019
Owner Operator: - Adam's Attention to Detail. Mobile Detailing and Automotive Installations.
https://www.facebook.com/AdamsAttentionToDetail/

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:37 am

Your welcome

adamhumphrey
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby adamhumphrey » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:12 pm

Is it hard to change the odometer with MMCoding Writer and can you change the vin code on the cluster?
MY11 Evo X MR (2011-Current)
MY20 Asx GSR (2023-Current)

MY11 Peugoet 207 XT HDi (2020-Mar 2023)
MY09 Lancer Sportback VRX (2015-2019) - Sold Nov 2019
Owner Operator: - Adam's Attention to Detail. Mobile Detailing and Automotive Installations.
https://www.facebook.com/AdamsAttentionToDetail/

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:20 pm

Piece of cake with mmcoding writer
Tell it to connect using the tactrix
It goes green on screen when connected on laptop
Type new odometer
Send
Done

There is a vin changer in thcoding writer for ecu Etacs
Can't remember if there was one for the instrument cluster.
Having said that
My ASX cluster was new old stock and the it has never had an issue with the vin, I don't ever recall having to set it in the instrument cluster and yet seen a lot of hoo Har that it needs to be set of errors happen
Apparently
Never had that issue
Have done a few clusters for clients and had zero issues as well

jsat
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby jsat » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:25 pm

adamhumphrey wrote:
jsat wrote:FYI
Jeff

Did you have to correct the odometer?

bumblebee wrote:Well done guys. With mmcoding writer you can get the odometer absolutely spot on when you replace it as well as set the service interval if you wish, or disable the service interval all together.

Might have to have a look for my wife's 2008 VRX.

Yes got Odo changed from 47,000 km's to what mine is at 109,000 km's. Lucky have an ex work mate that did mine for free here in the West

Return to “Interior”