Intakes

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

vee
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Intakes

Postby vee » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:00 pm

Was just wondering where you could buy an injen Short ram intake or the Cold air intake and which one would be better?

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:22 pm

your car already has a CAI, u could just buy a RA ram/snorkel and a better air filter or google injen suppliers, we have no sponsors that sell them.
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

xDavid
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby xDavid » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:45 pm

Ive been reading through most posts on this forum lately and doing heaps of research on a lot of different mods and all that, and I just have a question, the K&N Cold air intake (69-6544TS) actually has a heat shield and is receiving cold air straight from the scoop, so how can it be worse than the stock? If it's not better then it cant possibly be worse, it's still a pod and will be sucking in air a lot more effectively then your standard panel air filter. Also it's covered with a head shield so it's not sucking in hot air? I have read a lot about it and most people here say to get a high quality panel filter, is so what brand do you recommend? I can't see any reason why the K&N Cai would in any way at be disadvantageous rather than more effective than a higher quality panel? But I know you guys have done real dyno runs and tests, so I just want a few opinions on this. I also am aware that most CAI are more for sound than performance, the only gane you'd get is a few hp if that.. But if you combine a tune, full exhaust + header and a K&N CAI, wouldn't it have a massive effect with the K&N Cai as with a high quality panel?

Sorry about this massive shit 😂

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:08 pm

It's the fact that it is open. It has a shield but it doesn't help much. Cooler air is more dense than hot air, so the cooler the air the more power your engine will have.
The engine bay gets very hot because of the engine and transmission generating heat and the air going through the engine bay is heated up by the radiator. Fitting a ralliart/evo bonnet helps cool the engine bay but only a little bit.
The stock system is closed so it can such air from in front of the radiator. The air there is atmosphere temperature.
The stock box and paper filter is probably good for over 200kW. A good panel filter will help as they have a larger surface area. The surface area is the area of all the filter weaves. If you cut it out and layer it flat it should have a larger area than stock. A good improvement would be to insulate all the pipes and airbox to help keep the intake air cool.
The oil air filters(k&n) are not recommended as the oil can interfere with the maf sensor. I would only use oil air filter
If you drive on a lot of dirt roads as they are better at collecting the dust but need to be cleaned and reoiled regularly.
Many aftermarket intakes play with the maf. The maf is calibrated to our stock pipe. When that pipe is changed the calibration effects your tune.
Speaking to Merlin he hates them as they are very hard to tune and are never as powerful as stock airbox

xDavid
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby xDavid » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:37 pm

I see you've raised some very valid points. Well what panel filter would you recommended then? Or what about an injen CAI? Probably more worthwhile to change the panel filter and headers and get an ra snorkel from what you've said.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:50 pm

Stay away from the injen too. The trouble is these companies give misleading information for sales. Some are improvements over stock but not in the lancers. I suspect car manufacturers realise the importance of cold air so now they all have cai to the front of the car. Older cars didn't have them so aftermarket options were good.
Speak to Alan at AK racing about a good panel filter.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:50 pm

Stay away from the injen too. The trouble is these companies give misleading information for sales. Some are improvements over stock but not in the lancers. I suspect car manufacturers realise the importance of cold air so now they all have cai to the front of the car. Older cars didn't have them so aftermarket options were good.
Speak to Alan at AK racing about a good panel filter.

Skrallex
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Skrallex » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:30 pm

My car has stock intake leading into a custom heat-resistant airbox with a pod filter in it. I bought the car second hand with this already installed. Since air is still coming through the stock intake (at outside temp) into the now somewhat more heat resistant air box, plus the improved flow rate of a pod filter, wouldn't this be no worse than stock, disregarding any effect from tuning? The air shouldn't be any hotter than in a stock airbox, if anything should be slightly cooler due to the heat resistant box, right?

If I still had the stock airbox I'd probably rip it out and go back to a proper panel filter, but that costs money that I don't have and seems like an unneeded expense to me?

I'm not fussy on the pod filter sound either way, so that's not a turning point for me.

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:56 pm

I look at the surface area of a pod filter and it's so much smaller than a panel filter so I can't see how it's better.

xDavid
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby xDavid » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:05 pm

That's really really interesting, do you have any pictures skrallex?
Aspir3 in Skrallex's case, without the pod be great because don't pods have far better suction and efficiency?

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:18 pm

xDavid wrote:Thats really really interesting, do you have any pictures skrallex? Aspir3 in Skrallexs case, without the pod be great because dont pods have far better suction and efficiency?

No.

The filters don't such. The engine sucks the air in. The filter only restricts the air by blocking it's pass to filter particles out of the air to prevent engine damage.
It's all about mathematics. If the area of the air pipe going to the engine is let's say for argument sake is 100mm square. Now we put a filter in front of it with say 50% cover then you will be restricting the air to 50mm square which wouldn't be good. Now what we have in our lancers is an airbox. This increases the size in front of the air intake pipe to the engine. It's probably more like 600mm square. Then it has a panel filter with pleats in it which increases even more probably around 2400mm square. So all of a sudden the area from the engine to the filter is 24 times bigger than the pipe to the engine. So we can fit a filter with material that only requires to allow 4% of air through it to not be any restrictions to the engine.

The end of the day the airbox is not a restriction to our engines intake air.

Sc94
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Re: Intakes

Postby Sc94 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:14 pm

Has anyone done a intake manifold upgrade ? If so what and how did you do this and can you upgrade the throttle body on these as well.

The manic mechanic
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Re: Intakes

Postby The manic mechanic » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:05 am

Not sure if anyone makes an Aftermarket intake manifold for the lancers, being plastic you probably wouldn't want to mess around with it from a porting stand-point ( plastic is very fragile). As for Throttle-bodies, there are options to fit larger ones (RPW sell them) but they are rather expensive. I prefer to modify the existing T/B simply by slimming both sides of the throttle-shaft (it also removes any screw tips sticking out) and knife-edging the leading edge of the butterfly. If you want to get more out of them, you can bore the back side a few millimeters larger in diameter upto the point just before the butterfly seats against the bore! Very inexpensive mod which definitely increases air-flow ( I have done heaps of them & flow-tested them to measure the increase!), if you don't have the gear to do it yourself, just take it to a machinist who has a milling machine!!

Return to “Interior”