***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Full size spare

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Wed May 27, 2009 2:46 pm

Did the nail have half its flat head missing - if not it wasn't from a nail gun.

The other cause could be just plain old bad luck - but a nail would be hard pressed to go too far into a sidewall without some assistance.
ClubCJ's first Sportback

slickthug
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby slickthug » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:13 am

theres that thing where you can put some slime (i think its called) in your tyre. when it gets punctured the slime quickly oozes out and repairs the puncture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khUHlSZaH-8

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:19 am

Slim is carbon based and will wash out in water. The Pump is good for flat tyres but once you use it you can't repair the tyre and the gas eats at the alloy mag. The best on the market is tyresheild which is laytex. But just like slim it needs to be in the tyre before it gets punctured

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:53 am

Back when I had my Mirage I had just got some new tyres, and within 2 weeks, I came into contact with an Echidna thus puncturing my tyre with A LOT of spikes. If I had put a tube in the tyre, it would've kept popping as they tyre wore down, as the spikes would get pushed further in.

So my old man and I came up with an idea. If it worked, it worked, if not then a new tyre it was...

We first bought a can of Holts brand puncture sealant, then as per the instructions, repaired the tyre with it. (I put the repaired tyre on the rear, for safety reasons in case it did go flat again)

After a day or so (to let the sealant harden) I went down to the local servo and removed the valve completely, thus releasing all the gas from the puncture repair process, and replaced the valve with a new one and then filled the tyre up with compressed air to the normal pressure, and off I went.

I thought "oh yeah I'd get a week out of this..." I got 6 months and 25,000kms out of it!!! Unbelievable! When it did finally go flat on me, it was on a pitch black Saturday night at 8pm (and not far from where I live now actually lol)

By that stage, the tyres were pretty much all getting worn anyway, so I replaced them all.

EDIT: Brand was Holts and it looked like this:

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:03 am

Nice work there :)

The last puncture was on the original tyres in the ES. The sidewall gave way. I had to drive the rest of the way to work and home up the freeway on my space saver.

I ordered the full size spare kit and yes it takes a lot of space away. But gives you little compartments too. I will take some pics when I get a chance.

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:55 am

I bought a full size spare last week actually. Anyone got any ideas on how to put up my boot floor without buying the dealer-mod? its expensive when imo a rolled up carpet would do it for example.

Mizta B
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mizta B » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:19 am

How about some Customwood I think it's called or MDF and a fabric cover to make a false floor of sorts?
That timber they use on Stereo installs.
Australasian Gerbil Rearers Organisation, Official Re-Seller.
MY09 Rally Red VRX ClubCJ's 1st 4B12 2.4L - CCJ Lifetime Member #0004.
Merlinised....

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:29 am

To tell you the truth, I think going to clark rubber and getting some foam cut to size would be good... and lighter than MDF.

Then get some small masonite panels cut to size.

I got the kit because I am lazy, but I do like the little compartments. I store my cleaning stuff a few tools and my inverter etc.

slickthug
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby slickthug » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:55 am

lol i like the echidna story. i guess echidnas go down swinging.

i would also like to think of a boot alternative. maybe remove the whole top cardboard bit and carpet up the bottom? then a spare tyre could just be secured to the side somehow?

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:16 pm

Got my full size spare today.

And it actually a really full size. EXACTLY the same as my VRX wheels hahaha

Also have the genuine fitment kit. But I will have to modify it to fit around my custom sub box...

I bought the rim and fitment kit off Brisbane member who bought it but can't use it! (Thanks Chris!) Getting a tyre on it a 3pm, then I'm all set.

I may even end up doing a custom boot raise, then I could sell the foam to somebody if they're interested...

Also random fact for the day... The Ralliart already has foam in the boot (even to accomodate the spacesaver), and the fitment kit adds to it :wink: The RA's boot recess is shallower than the standard Lancer!!

Return to “Interior”