Custom ES console upgrade

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Custom ES console upgrade

Postby JazzyB » Sat May 23, 2009 11:11 pm

Hey guys and gals - I've been designing an ES console cover/extender for a little while now - come up with a computer generated model of my 2nd design, with the following features in mind
* It will totally cover the existing ES console
* It will extend the storage space of the console by roughly double
* It will be raised and have an "arm rest" look
* It will look OEM or at least fit with the theme of the car
* It will not interfere with the handbrake etc.

And also - I've designed it as a 2 part lid... see the rendered pictures below for info...

The existing ES console can be seen in the first 3 pics...

Let me know who's interested - these are just rendered models - the actual product is going to be upholstered in leather, vinyl or coated to match the vehicle interior, consider it a high-tech sketch ;-)

Nicho
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Nicho » Sat May 23, 2009 11:29 pm

Looks good, I'd be interested

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sun May 24, 2009 8:41 am

Hey jazzy man, That looks great! depending on price im interested man. Something you might want to also offer. Custom stitching in the arm rest fabric for our nicknames etc?

Did you design that with your on board graphics? :P
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

LonePhantom
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby LonePhantom » Sun May 24, 2009 3:25 pm

Hmmm depending on the price I'd be interested in that.

mitch.honey
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby mitch.honey » Sun May 24, 2009 3:38 pm

depending on the price I'd be interested in that.
Red Tail-light Brigade Member #2

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Sun May 24, 2009 4:38 pm

dude - I designed the last 10% with the onboard graphics... ugh... took like 90% of the time, it keeps ghosting etc. and I keep having to refresh the screen etc. etc....

Anyways- custom stitching etc. I'll probably leave up to the individual.... if u wanna order one un-upholstered and get your own custom upholstery I can't see why that wouldn't be easy enough for me ;-)

But to be honest, CBF'd looking into custom upholstery prices for each individual person, you's can manage that bit yourselves ;-) - I'll pick a style to suit myself and I'll offer that as a 'standard trim' or offer an untrimmed version as well maybe ;-)

I mean, special orders can be placed, but this is totally custom and the only way I'm going to be able to make it for a good price is if I get an order of 5 or 10 of it... if I had 2 make 10 seperate parts for 10 ppl the setup costs for each different part would be too high...

Having said that, if you're dying for a difference (ie. a slot on top that seats your phone or similar) it could be done - but is likely to cost a lot being completely custom (but it'll look good, not like there's just been a hole hacked into the lid)...

Hopefully the finished product should come in under a couple of hundred dollars AU... a LONG leap from what I got quoted from mitsu for a VR/VRX console (AU $800+)

I used my console in my old car daily, bloody useful, IF they have a lid *rolls eyes at stock console*

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sun May 24, 2009 7:14 pm

Sounds good jazzy. When do you think you could get a price on this?

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Sun May 24, 2009 10:41 pm

Well, if you's are all in at a good price well I've got good news cos the more that get made the less they cost!

Awesome to see this much support in the first 24 hours. If everyone who's interested asks a friend or something we might be able to half the cost - seriously... I'll keep working on the design, see how many ppl we can get interested in the meantime... with some more firm numbers and closer to manufacturing time, I'll have more of an idea of a price!

Friends, family, cousins, workmates, or fellow ClubCJ or other lancer club members, anyone you think may be interested. Sorry, but I have NO other way of advertising these... so to get the numbers up word-of-mouth is the only way I can really think of... I'm not making 1000's and I'm trying to provide them at the best price, so in the interest of ALL of us we need a few ppl to help reduce costs.

Material cost is around $100, mainly because I plan to make them out of a solid block and machine them to shape... if there were seriously 50 buyers or something, we could get a mold made and probably halve the cost!

If getting them upholstered I won't have to machine them to a fine finish, so I'm kinda trying to reduce cost there. Anyone know (or is) an upholsterer? I know 1 guy that's ok, but he's not going to give me an awesome deal or anything...

If we can cut costs there as well we should be laughing... could be anywhere from $200 to $400 at this stage... (based on what i'm expecting, 50+ it could be closer to $150, but a figure like that's really going to depend on the upholstry as well...)

I may allow for a few extras just based on the "wow - where'd u get that, I want one too!" factor - seems not many ppl wanted the C lip until they saw a few of us fit them ;-) so I'm sure ppl will be asking those of us with new centre consoles where they can get one too!

Are ppl happy to go with vinyl trim over leather? or is fabric preferred? I'd personally probably go vinyl cos it'll be cheaper and still look good... (like old car-seat vinyl, not front-grill vinyl!)

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun May 24, 2009 10:44 pm

All I have to say is...

VRX Console FTW hahahah

Nah, seriously, good luck with it, looks great :D

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sun May 24, 2009 10:45 pm

If i had the money, i would get the fabric full customised, blue stictching around the edges and a monogram etc

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Sun May 24, 2009 10:56 pm

cheers sir ;-)

And yes- spewing they skimped on the ES... a decent console seems more basic than ACS and other things that all come standard....

And yeah tadz- would be sick - thinking of doing something special myself too... dunno bout monogram, but heavy blue stitching or something would look sick...

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Sun May 24, 2009 11:00 pm

Not 100% sure id go vinyl though. Id want something that matches oem trim. even if it is a cheap looking material...

JazzyB
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby JazzyB » Tue May 26, 2009 11:37 am

fabric will be doable... I just chose vinyl because it seemed like more of a 'car material' than fabric. But u'll have a lot more choice with this then ANY other thing u probably buy for your lancer, cos it is fully custom, not like any trim has to be removed to put a different trim on... Paint it, vinyl it, fabric it, custom-surface coat it (ie woodgrain coatings etc)... Dunno much about the finishing touches myself, but any good interior shop should know their shit ;-)

asHxP
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby asHxP » Tue May 26, 2009 5:01 pm

HEAPS NICE... will be interested :)

Return to “Interior”