***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

how to take out the whole center console?

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

RAwannabe
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

how to take out the whole center console?

Postby RAwannabe » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:53 pm

I bought some Carbon fiber parts from taobao (Chinese ebay) try to make the interior look better, but i am having problem removing the stock center console, it's the whole thing from climate control to arm rest, I've high line in the picture.
I managed to take the cup holder area, shift surround and unscrew two screws inside the arm rest box, the whole back end is up but something still holding it from the front, I wasn't able to disconnect it from those two cubbins under the climate control, do we have any member tried this before? would be great if someone can tell me what else holding it down. thanks.

chunky9
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby chunky9 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:56 pm

You need to follow this until 1:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnOTIfTrQTE

Once that long piece covering the hazard lights button is off theres 2 screws holding the climate control facia in place. Undo those and then you can pull out the climate control unit and surround etc

denzza
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby denzza » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:57 pm

You have to open the the glove box and on the left you will see a bolt. Take the little black plastic off. Then take the whole centre trim off. This will have one screw holding it, the rest are clips. So watch put when you take them out.
Then you will see your hazard light buttom. there are 2 or 3 screw that you need to take off. Then im pretty sure you take your headunit out and then there will be 2 screws holding the Climate controls and then its on clips and yank it out :D

Hope this helped!
AUSTRALIA'S FIRST 4B11T ENGINE SWAP ON E85
FULL EVO X TURBO SETUP
APEXI ARC DESIGN INTAKE | RA BRAKE SETUP | APEXI N1 EVO -R 3" CAT BACK | UR CAT |
TUNED BY BEEBLE | EXEDY H/D CLUTCH
BC RACING BR COILOVERS

chunky9
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby chunky9 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:02 pm

RAwannabe
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby RAwannabe » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:30 pm

Thanks guys, looks like there might be two more screws underneath the cubbins, with the other models you can reach those two screws without taken off the climate controls, but with VRX and up has those two cubbins blocking it. I will try again once the parts arrive, today I just wanted to see how difficult is to take them out, always good to know people are very helpful on this forum. *clap2*

chunky9
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby chunky9 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:42 pm

I dont think there are screws under the cubbies man
just got to hit these 2 screws and you can yank it out, http://www.clubcj.net/img/images/134829 ... (1800x1350).jpg

Ive just installed the vrx cubbies in my activ and thats all i had to do
http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=13443 ... &start=165

anghel132
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby anghel132 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:13 pm

Number 1> JEEZUZ CHRIST. Well done on Taobao. That crap is hard to order at the best of times when you actually know chinese. O__o.

Number 2> What Chunky said, seems about right.

RAwannabe
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby RAwannabe » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:33 pm

chunky9 wrote:I dont think there are screws under the cubbies man just got to hit these 2 screws and you can yank it out, http://www.clubcj.net/img/images/134829 ... (1800x1350).jpg Ive just installed the vrx cubbies in my activ and thats all i had to do http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=13443 ... &start=165

couldn't open that first link can you repost?

RAwannabe
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby RAwannabe » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:38 pm

It's this two screws in front of the gear stick I am referring to
I think they are the screws that's holding the center console, once I remove them I can pull the console towards the back, but first I need to move the cubbins to get to these two screws, there is not enough space to fit any screw driver in when the cubbins are there.
Last edited by RAwannabe on Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alixxandar
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Alixxandar » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:51 pm

denzza wrote:You have to open the the glove box and on the left you will see a bolt. Take the little black plastic off. Then take the whole centre trim off. This will have one screw holding it, the rest are clips. So watch put when you take them out. Then you will see your hazard light buttom. there are 2 or 3 screw that you need to take off. Then im pretty sure you take your headunit out and then there will be 2 screws holding the Climate controls and then its on clips and yank it out :D Hope this helped!

You don't actually need to take the hazard button off - it's attached to the fascia for the head unit. So take that fascia off (all clips, plus wiring harness at the back) and you're all good to go

RAwannabe
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby RAwannabe » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:10 pm

Alixxandar wrote:[quote:ef93a0ad4b=denzza]You have to open the the glove box and on the left you will see a bolt. Take the little black plastic off. Then take the whole centre trim off. This will have one screw holding it, the rest are clips. So watch put when you take them out. Then you will see your hazard light buttom. there are 2 or 3 screw that you need to take off. Then im pretty sure you take your headunit out and then there will be 2 screws holding the Climate controls and then its on clips and yank it out :D Hope this helped![/quote:ef93a0ad4b] You dont actually need to take the hazard button off - its attached to the fascia for the head unit. So take that fascia off (all clips, plus wiring harness at the back) and youre all good to go
i have no problem taking out the HU or climate controls, it's the bottom end of the center console I couldn't get off.

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby evil.ralliart » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:16 pm

Ive gotta do this to mine...for another reason though, and luckily a mate of mine is an installer and works on a lot of CJ's.
But...honestly...Daaaaaam..The CJ must be the hardest car to get into the centre console in the world lol.
Couldnt believe it when i heard ...well.."Open the glove box and remove the screws that....." I was like "Glove Box?" No...i want to get into the cubby's in the centre console!
I originally thought it was a joke along the lines of.........
To replace the left rear indicator bulb: Remove right hand side wheel, un bolt caliper, empty radiator, unscrew and remove water pump HAHAHA.

Its like Mitsubishi built and designed a centre console then built a car around it lmao.

Does anyone know how long it takes to pull all this apart and put back together? or what clips are most likely to be broken? Sorry if its a bit of subject

RAwannabe
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby RAwannabe » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:23 pm

Well In Matty's how to
http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=12364 ... te+control
he didn't have the cubbins, and it's a manual, so he can open the shift surround and get to those two screws then pull the center console towards the back of his car.
but with mine (CVT) after I took out the CVT surround, the CVT panel is still there, I can just see those two screws under the cubbins, they sit under the cubbins and I couldn't fit any screw drivers in it and it was on a angle so I couldn't get to it. really need help here

Return to “Interior”