Heads Up Display (HUD) for your Lancer

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Heads Up Display (HUD) for your Lancer

Postby Ozie » Thu May 14, 2009 3:32 am

you can buy these!!!!!
It Projects the speed onto the windscreen.

http://www.ozprodrivers.com.au/shop/too ... play-p-443

Price: $129AUD.

Last edited by Ozie on Fri May 15, 2009 7:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Thu May 14, 2009 5:14 am

Actually, modern fighter jets do not use HUD any more. The JSF has eliminated it in favor of the HMD (Helmet Mounted Display). The HMD makes the HUD seem like iron sights on a BB gun compared to the capability of the HMD. The HMD not only contains the typical flight data found in the HUD, but FLIR and camera images. A JSF pilot can look down at his lap and see through the aircraft with the HMD. There are broad spectrum cameras mounted all over the JSF so the pilot can see any direction he turns his head regardless of obstruction of the aircraft. The essential flight data is always visible regardless of head position and affords a new dimension is targeting, even those targets beyond visible range or over the horizon.

HUDs are a little more complex than simply reflecting an image off of glass.

First, the refractive index of glass will actually form two images of the source. One is reflected off of the inside face of the glass. The second reflects off of the outside face of the glass. The second surface forms a ghost image that is slightly displaced from the primary image. The displacement is proportional to the glass thickness and angle of incidence of the projected image. I think that HUD glass is coated with a reflective coating on one side and an anti-reflective coating on the other to suppress this effect. I don't know what automakers are doing, if anything.

Second, the image that is reflected off of the glass is also back-focused optically so that to the eye it appears as if the HUD data is focused at infinity. The reason for this is so the pilot does not need to refocus back and forth between the HUD and the-out the-window-view, which quickly can cause disorientation and fatigue. If you did not focus compensate the image, it will have the same focal length as the path between the projector and the eye (DEP). I am not an optics expert, so I do not know how the back-focus for the HUD is done, but they use a series of lenses to achieve this effect.

For an automotive application, the real purpose of the HUD should be to reduce what is called head down time. You want to minimize the amount of time you are looking down into the car's cockpit and maximize your situational awareness. The primary data that would be of any use on the HUD is velocity. All other data is secondary or tertiary in nature (i.e., fuel level, engine temperature, and time of day) since you don't need to look at that data to control or drive your car and typically you only look at those instruments infrequently, they are not reasonable candidates for HUD data and would be clutter in your field of view or at the minimum a distraction from more important things. That just leaves velocity, which really isn't that important in my book since we should be simply driving at a speed that we can control our cars. Most of us have a pretty good sense of speed and only need occasional glances at the speedometer as a cross check. That is why automotive HUDs are more of a novelty than a rave.

However, that may change with the advent of GPS and moving maps. I could see a HUD as and excellent way to post data for driving directions. You could pop up arrows pointing to the direction to turn or the off ramps/roads. Text information that is associated with that could be painted next to the arrows to augment the directions. However, care must be taken so that the display works as a tool to enhance the driver and not distract him from critical activities, such as driving the car! Anything that keeps ones head up and not down is a good tool. Moving map displays in a car are a pain since it takes so much head down time to read them. A HUD would reduce that activity to a minimum.

Sourced from CR4

Basically, its not 'that' simple.

it has been done, but its not common, not practical, and generally expensive.

as for advice on crawling - if its stop start, stay in first gear. I can go up to 45kmph or so in 1st gear without redlining, so whats the point in fiddly changing if your only gonna stop in 30 yards?

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Thu May 14, 2009 11:14 pm

Your a Genius Josh!!!!!

but what do you think?

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Thu May 14, 2009 11:23 pm

not common, not practical, and generally expensive.

That.

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Fri May 15, 2009 1:43 am

WORKS also has one. Not sure if it's compatible.

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Fri May 15, 2009 7:04 am

Josh_Emerton wrote:
not common, not practical, and generally expensive.

That.

how is under $150AUD expensive??
$129-retail.

Stop licking toads Josh.

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Fri May 15, 2009 7:11 am

Yeah but thats a crap 'lets project a light onto the windscreen and hope it reflects' HUD. which contradicts everything I said in my quote. to get a DECENT HUD you need to get the windscreen replaced or tinted or some thing (i havent slept ok, i cant think) first so it doesnt like double-image.

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Fri May 15, 2009 8:03 am

read what it reflects onto, i agree its sounds pretty ordinary but at least it has something.

http://www.ozprodrivers.com.au/shop/too ... play-p-443

you dont need to replace your windscreen...

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Fri May 15, 2009 9:45 am

Yeah, the last thing i want to do is replace my windscreen....

If all i got was my RPM read out, i would be happy...

I dont have a problem with dropping my eyes down to check my revs, i know many manual drivers do it, but i tend to do it in traffic and its a bit of a habbit and i sometimes scare my mum sometimes coz i get close pretty close to some people.

Also i see you've split this topic. My title was a bit different to what i was asking lol. Top stuff btw with the adding the last 15 active topics.
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

Return to “Interior”