***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

What's the best Gear to stay in, when in traffic?

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

What's the best Gear to stay in, when in traffic?

Postby tadz0rz » Thu May 14, 2009 12:15 am

Hey guys, got a noobish question for ya'll

I will say this first, dont post stuff saying stupid stuff like learn to drive etc. I know how to drive.

Im having a small issue.

I find that when im moving in traffic say...15-20kmh, im a little confused on which gear to go in or stay in.

So say, i pull off in first, go into second, car in front slows down, revs drop to about 1000-1100 while im in second gear, should i go back into first or stay in second and bring the revs up a lil to keep the car from stalling...? See stupid me, i have a habbit of droppin my eyes down to see where my revs are to see which gear would be optimal, and by the time i drop my eyes down and bring them up again, im like 10 feet from the car in front.

Since all new cars run with syncro gears, i hear that their not designed to engage above a certian point to stop the risk of damaging the transmission? I could be wrong, just what ive heard

Hence is why im thinking HUD, Is there a universal one out there? Better yet, one suited for the lancer.

I would find it so much easier if i just had a readout of at least my revs and would stop me from doing this.

Thanks guys. And again, no stupid comments please, looking for honest advice here
Got a question? Read the ClubCJ Ultimate Guide First!!
Just...Dont worry about it ;)Dont Click Me

Speedie
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Speedie » Thu May 14, 2009 12:32 am

You only need first gear to get the car rolling, unless you want to do burnouts then start in second, but the car will happy creep along at idle in second

[Evo X Brembos] [Evo X Intercooler] [Evo X UICP]

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Thu May 14, 2009 5:15 am

I also tend to just give it a small spurt of throttle, stick the clutch in and let it roll by itself, controlling it with the brake pedal. It'll usually just creep forward.

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Thu May 14, 2009 9:33 am

Speedie wrote:You only need first gear to get the car rolling, unless you want to do burnouts then start in second, but the car will happy creep along at idle in second

Start in second? ill wreck my clutch doin it that way

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Thu May 14, 2009 9:41 am

Do you ride the clutch or something?

Letting the clutch out whilst moving should be pretty much instantaneous if you have the right revs. Starting in second is pretty common practice unless you're doing a hill start or wanting to thrash the car.

Nicho
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby Nicho » Thu May 14, 2009 12:37 pm

I usually just keep it in second until/unless I stop but if im rolling im usually in second, i find it a lot more smoother than 1st

LAP_DANCER
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby LAP_DANCER » Thu May 14, 2009 1:37 pm

I usually stay in 2nd, but i shuffle between that and first when im driving to work(work in the city you see!)
It's not how you Stand By your Car, Its how you race your car, you betta learn that,

Lap Dance is my metaphor, the way i drive "all of the boys and all of the girl are beggin to if you seek amy" LOL yeah ino ima tool

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Thu May 14, 2009 2:14 pm

Tadz, found this while checking out the WORKS site

http://www.worksevo.com/store/product_i ... cts_id=100

Not sure if its compatible with the CJ, but there is another link on the site to the manufacturers page.

spunkybob
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby spunkybob » Thu May 14, 2009 2:55 pm

Start in first and if you need to goto second. if your only movine say 10 mts then just let it rev in 1st.... but im a lazy driver :P
>CLICK HERE to view My 08 Lancer in all its Glory!
"Its STILL happy go fun fun time!"

nutterbug
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby nutterbug » Thu May 14, 2009 5:10 pm

Tadz, don't stress, I've been driving for 5 years and I still wonder about this! I usually do what Josh does, a little squirt then coast
8, It's a Melbourne record :P

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Thu May 14, 2009 5:53 pm

I dont know why, but that just made me laugh ^^

nutterbug
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby nutterbug » Thu May 14, 2009 8:42 pm

Haha, I just re-read it *cue immature giggle*
8, It's a Melbourne record :P

tadz0rz
Genius
Genius

Postby tadz0rz » Thu May 14, 2009 8:55 pm

Okay thanks for your input everyone. Now, can someone please define: Riding The Clutch. That link you gave me daveee looks good....

My understanding of it was just having it half way in all the time or sumthing....Or is it your constantly pressing in and out on the clutch?

So from what people have told me...if im stuck in traffic and person in front slows down and im in second....I should stay in second if the guy in front moves again.

I find it a bit jerky n stuff like that when i shift into first and have to rev match so i dont jolt the car....

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Thu May 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Riding the clutch as in not letting it out straight away, in one fluid movement.

Even though modern gear boxes have synchro's its still a good idea to come to a complete stop to change into first. Puts less strain on it. I am guilty of doing it while the car is still moving sometimes.

But yeah unless on a hill you should start in second...first is only really there to get you moving on hills, steep inclines or if you're towing something - or driving fast. At least that is how I was taught to drive, has served me pretty well so far.

Return to “Interior”