***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

seat covers

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

vrx80i
INACTIVE Member Account

seat covers

Postby vrx80i » Tue May 12, 2009 11:55 am

hay all i was woundering if i put seat covers on my car with air bag in teh seats what will happen in a accident and am i alowed to do that

Josh_Emerton
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Josh_Emerton » Tue May 12, 2009 12:52 pm

I would imagine the airbags would deploy, probably punch a whole in the seat cover, and I know so many people who HAVE done it, I'm not even sure any more.

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Tue May 12, 2009 1:11 pm

They wont deploy properly. Don't do it, or get seat covers designed to allow the airbags to deploy.

Ozie
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Ozie » Tue May 12, 2009 1:23 pm

it is very dangerous to fit seat covers to the SRS air bag seats.
they could cause serious injury.

if you are using seat covers for your VRX, they have to air bag approved..

i only know of one manufacturer that makes seat covers that will work with our seat airbags...

and that is our Sponsor http://x-factordesign.com

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Tue May 12, 2009 3:02 pm

You can get front seat covers custom made for $100-130 that are designed to fit your seat snuggly and have a cutout for the airbag to deploy through. You can order them through Autobarn. SCA, Autopro, Auto1,etc...

DO NOT use normal seat covers without holes for the air bag, there is no guarantee the way in which the airbag will deploy and it may cause serious injury.

Mizta B
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mizta B » Tue May 12, 2009 8:41 pm

It isn't worth the risk using the wrong covers vrx80i - Mate
if those bags don'y deploy properly it could cause you some serious grief :(
Australasian Gerbil Rearers Organisation, Official Re-Seller.
MY09 Rally Red VRX ClubCJ's 1st 4B12 2.4L - CCJ Lifetime Member #0004.
Merlinised....

Rina2009
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Rina2009 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:57 pm

i didnt think of this and just brought some rallart ones :o( have to see what i can do first

aussie027
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby aussie027 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:17 pm

You are all correct re the airbags.

I have some sheepskins on mine that are simply attached to the headrest and just fit the back & seat area of the seat. The airbags can then deploy normally.

A company that specialize in wool seat covers and other items here in Perth makes this type of "throw over"cover properly edge trimmed and lined etc (Unlike my basic skins) that has a headrest "pocket" so it simply holds it in place and the cover just sits over the entire seat with no wraparound component to interfere with the airbags.

They also make covers in other materials--

http://www.prestige-sheepskin.com.au
I FIND YOUR LACK OF FAITH DISTURBING......

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:06 pm

Rina2009 wrote:i didnt think of this and just brought some rallart ones :o( have to see what i can do first
if you are handy with a sewing machine you could mark out holes to cut on the sides and then cut and hem them yourself...

Rina2009
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby Rina2009 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:35 pm

yeah i was thinking thats.... i just want to stop making the seats dirty from soccer....
nothing worse than having to clean them as well...

Ill look into it i was even thinking that

ads18x
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby ads18x » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:17 pm

has anyone made a normal seat cover into a air bag friendly one yet?
I have some killer black sheep skin ones on there now but wanna make them air bag safe but dont want to just hack into them cos, well lets face it im a boy and hopeless with sewing let alone upholstery.
What do u do? just cut a hole down the side and sew some velcro on to keep it closed? would that work?

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:35 pm

I would not be modifying my own seat covers to compensate for the side airbags. DANGEROUS as they are not guaranteed to allow the airbag to deploy properly.

Only use airbags that are certified to work with the car. Mitsubishi now sells them for the lancer. They only cover the centre section of the seat uprights (ie NOT the bolsters at all) so they do allow the airbag to safely deploy if it is needed.

Anything else than the proper seat cover is just plain dumb. Sorry, but it is the lives of not only yourself but others you are putting at risk.

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:11 pm

SIR-VRX wrote:I would not be modifying my own seat covers to compensate for the side airbags. DANGEROUS as they are not guaranteed to allow the airbag to deploy properly.

What's wrong with cutting your own hole as per as set of bought ones??? it's not like the car seat cover manufacturers have some super special sewing machine :lol:

And the Mitsu OEM ones apparently cost an arm and a leg.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:17 pm

Ryan_C wrote:
SIR-VRX wrote:I would not be modifying my own seat covers to compensate for the side airbags. DANGEROUS as they are not guaranteed to allow the airbag to deploy properly.

What's wrong with cutting your own hole as per as set of bought ones??? it's not like the car seat cover manufacturers have some super special sewing machine :lol:

And the Mitsu OEM ones apparently cost an arm and a leg.

Cutting a flap and velcro-ing it is mainly what i was referring to, but the same can be said about just cutting a hole as it is not guaranteed that the airbag can deploy CORRECTLY through the hole.

ads18x
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby ads18x » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:48 pm

SIR-VRX wrote:Mitsubishi now sells them for the lancer. They only cover the centre section of the seat uprights (ie NOT the bolsters at all) so they do allow the airbag to safely deploy if it is needed.

Do you know where i can get any information about these I cant see anything on the mitsu site and have been lookin on google for ages.
My dealer hasn't got any brochures, and said i can order a "buy in" where i have to pay for them upfront before they order them but dont want to do that before i atleast see them.

Return to “Interior”