***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Changing the gear knob

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Fri May 22, 2009 10:08 am

Well if you're after a faster change and more feel the short shifter makes a much bigger difference than any knob on a stock shifter...

dumb&

Postby dumb& » Fri May 22, 2009 11:07 am

Knobs are mostly aesthetics/comfort things.

I doubt a lighter or heavier gearknob would change much that is noticable.

TWM make a short shifter as Ryan has mentioned, as do RPW (you can send them your old one once you get the replacement and they send you a $$ rebate to make it a bit cheaper).

WORKS have a short shifter, but at this stage it's only for LHD cars.

Dummer

Postby Dummer » Fri May 22, 2009 12:26 pm

Nah the heavier knob definitely does help, especially once you go to a hsort shifter and the gear changes are stiffer...

Once you pull it out of gear the extra interia and gravity help put it into gear, as said it is putting extra strain on your gearbox...

Bandit
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Bandit » Fri May 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Graham wrote:
The_Bandit wrote:LOL @ someone used to driving a 6 speeder that gets into a 5 speeder with reverse at bottom right and goes on a highway.... ouch.

yeah that would be pretty bad! :shock:

Most people would know where the gears are in their car anyway but i can see why the rule is in place, i doubt cops would ever burn you for it unless they really wanted to yellow sticker you for their stats or something..

It happens to me all the time - my work car is a 6 speed with 6th where R is on the Lancer. I've never come close to doing it, but have to always remember that in the lancer, you don't go past 5th! When my wife drives my work car (she usually has the Lancer) I always have to remind her there is 6th for the highway...!

I am sure there'd be some mechanism in the shifter or gearbox to stop you going into reverse at a high spped, but just gotta be careful nonetheless.

squala
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby squala » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:42 am

The_Bandit wrote:LOL @ someone used to driving a 6 speeder that gets into a 5 speeder with reverse at bottom right and goes on a highway.... ouch.

Most modern cars have a lockout so you couldn't shift straight from fifth to reverse, possibly a solenoid.
///// /////
7 airbags
6-speed SST
5-star safety
4-wheel drive
3-diamond badge
2 overhead cams
1 awesome ride
0 demerit points and gutter rash

Return to “Interior”