Rexspeed dual gauge pod

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Rexspeed dual gauge pod

Postby evil.ralliart » Mon May 02, 2011 9:35 pm

I am wanting to purchase a rexspeed carbon fibre dual gauge steering column pod from Lancer shop and have a few queries that i hope you guys can help on and what their delivery times normally are (Brisbane)

Questions:

Anyone know what the finish is like?
Fitment?
Is it driver side specific?

Thx

spareparts
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby spareparts » Mon May 02, 2011 10:00 pm

jace got the single pod one and it lasted a week. finish of it was good but it just got in the was and it dosnt fit all gauges you have clearances issues with the steering wheel. will need to cut a hole in steering shrowled as well to run cables to guages.
the voices may not be real, but they have some pretty good ideas :D:D
..... If streets could talk they would Beg For Mercy!!! 151.6kw & 330nm @ all 4 paws .....

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby evil.ralliart » Mon May 02, 2011 10:26 pm

hey sean. Saw that post....just wondering wether the dual gauge is the same.....didnt want the single as it covers the info screen to much.

Thx for the info

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon May 02, 2011 10:36 pm

Hi Peter, I'm glad I saw this thread and am here to hopefully shed some light on things for you.

Firstly I'll answer your questions;
1. Rexspeed finish is great. You won't complain especially for the price.
2. Fitment is good but could be better. Basically the way their gauge pods for the steering wheel column works is the top piece of the steering wheel column can be unscrewed and it basically fits perfectly (ish) on top using double sided tape. You'll need to drill some holes in the OEM plastic to allow the cables to pass through (see my comment at the end of this post re: me selling mine). That being said because it's essentially on top of the OEM part, it will now stick out where the OEM piece sat flush.
3. Driver side shouldn't matter.

Now, in terms of issues, I suggest you read my thread first: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=7818

So, will these issues apply to you? In my case, I had a few things working against me;
1. Evo X steering wheel does not have reach adjustment. This means that the AEM gauge which I bought protrudes too much with the AEM bezel and hence it hits the steering wheel when turning. This wouldn't be such an issue if the steering wheel could be adjusted for reach.
2. The AEM gauge does not sit flush and with the included bezel (which looks awesome I might add- refer to my gauge issues thread above)
3. Evo X seats cannot be adjusted for height which meant that in my low position, I was unable to see the bottom half of the LCD screen in the dash- i.e. the manual gear indicator for the SST and the fuel gauge. Fuel gauge is less of an issue but the manual gear indicator was a deal breaker for me since I rely on this at the track.

Now, issues 1 and 3 may not apply to a non-Evo CJ Lancer but as I don't know for sure, I urge you to check to make sure you can move your steering wheel reach forward and/or your seat height. Issue 2 can be overcome with either moving the wheel, or by choosing a different gauge.

In terms of the dual gauge pod which you are looking at- I considered this but the reviews from US forums were not positive because it blocks the bottom half of the tacho AND the speedo (i.e. the speeds you need to avoid everyday 60km/h cameras) in the Evo, but again you'll need to double check in the CJ Lancer if this will be an issue for you. Alternatively if you have something like an OBDII display (e.g. GReddy Informeter Touch) then this isn't so much of an issue.

Note: I am selling my single CF gauge pod for cheap since it wasn't suitable for my needs > http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=7924 ... and if someone is too scared to drill themselves, I'll chuck in my spare steering wheel column cover which is already pre-cut to allow wires to pass through easily (courtesy of LZY_EYE's skilled craftsmanship) for $20.

ps. Thanks also to spareparts and LZY_EYE for all their help (i.e. all of the hard work) in installing this.

"A man who stands for nothing, falls for anything."

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon May 02, 2011 10:39 pm

For those who haven't seen it, the gauge pod in question is this one:

URL: http://www.rexpeed.net/new2007/product_ ... serial=233

Interestingly the gauges used in the picture above are the AEM gauges I used with my single pod and they looked great... until you realised that they blocked the wheel from turning. My guess is maybe other markets have reach adjust on their Evo steering wheels- or it's not an Evo (but it looks like a JDM one with the S-AWC control on the steering wheel instead of audio controls).

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon May 02, 2011 10:42 pm

evil.ralliart wrote:hey sean. Saw that post....just wondering wether the dual gauge is the same.....didnt want the single as it covers the info screen to much.

Thx for the info

Depends on your height I'd say and how you sit in the car. If you have height adjust and/or you're tall, then it won't be such an issue. I'm 170cm and whilst I'm good height to drive, it would've been a lot better if I was taller :)

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby evil.ralliart » Mon May 02, 2011 10:56 pm

Thx heaps JaCe

Will check all this out.

Main reason for the dual pod was that the single version covered the gear number and the main RPM is visible as well as speeds on the dual. Not sure wether my ralliart has reach....but even if it did wouldnt the column cover move with the wheel anyway? Also from your post i was aware of your wheel clearence problem and was hoping the dual might be different . Also from the pic it looks as though the gauges sit back from the edge of the pod further than the single. Once again thx for your input
Cheer's

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Mon May 02, 2011 11:21 pm

Hmm without seeing the RA dash and how you sit I can't really comment but in my case, the single pod didn't block the tacho or speedo at all (props for that). I guess it really only suits manual cars or where the driver doesn't need to see the bottom half of the display.

Hecky
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Hecky » Tue May 03, 2011 12:11 am

Hey Peter,

Check out my garage. I have the rexpeed dual pod installed with 52mm Autometer gauges. I have no problems with clearance, fitment etc. Be advised though that the pods WILL block your tacho & speedo (to about 50 km/h as marked on the dial, but this depends on your seating position). Fitment is with double sided tape. If you want more pics, let me know.
HKS/AMS/GFB/MRT/K&N/DBA
Whiteline/Ultra-Racing/Rexpeed/Autometer/Yokohama Racing/Cusco
...and some other stuff which the fun police don't approve of... :)

evil.ralliart
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby evil.ralliart » Tue May 03, 2011 8:58 am

Hey Hector

Thx heaps...exactly what i wanted to hear and see....will order one today

Cheers Pete

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Tue May 03, 2011 1:42 pm

Hecky wrote:Hey Peter,

Check out my garage. I have the rexpeed dual pod installed with 52mm Autometer gauges. I have no problems with clearance, fitment etc. Be advised though that the pods WILL block your tacho & speedo (to about 50 km/h as marked on the dial, but this depends on your seating position). Fitment is with double sided tape. If you want more pics, let me know.

Your photo looks good. Can you take a side on shot? Just curious how far it sticks out/how recessed it is because on the Evo it hits the wheel.

ps. I'm still surprised at how much of the speedo it blocks!

AUSSIECJ
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby AUSSIECJ » Tue May 03, 2011 5:46 pm

im quiet interested in this thread, cause in the future i will be looking at getting an air fuel gauge and an oil temp gauge. and looking at the rexspeed gauge i wouldnt mind getting on to accomidate for them
I LOVE HATERS ;)
By aussiecj at 2010-09-20

Hecky
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Hecky » Tue May 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Here are some pics I took today. Apologies for the crappy iphone quality:

Side view. Note the gap between indicator stalk and pod. This is so the pod doesn't interfere with stalk operation:

Here is another pic I took during a cruise. Might give you a better idea of how much of the speedo and tacho are blocked.

Hope these pics help. Any questions let me know.

Cheers
HKS/AMS/GFB/MRT/K&N/DBA

Hecky
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Hecky » Tue May 03, 2011 8:32 pm

JaCe wrote:
ps. I'm still surprised at how much of the speedo it blocks!

It was difficult at first, especially when driving on a 40km/h zone. But I've learned to judge my speed in the months I've had the pod installed (if there is no traffic to follow... :lol:)
HKS/AMS/GFB/MRT/K&N/DBA

JaCe
Alumni
Alumni

Postby JaCe » Tue May 03, 2011 8:37 pm

If it's anything like when I had the single one in, it kinda messes with your eyes since you are now focussing on something nearer to you and then something further back.

Can you confirm if the RA wheel has reach adjust, and if you've got it pulled out at all in the photos above?

Return to “Interior”