??installing airbags??

Lancer Interior Modifications.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

vshufflers
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

??installing airbags??

Postby vshufflers » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:54 am

Hi all, has enybody here intalled airbags befor? do you need to reset enything or do you just plug it in and thats it? ive notice there are to electric blocks attachede to, behind the front reinforment bar, are they airbag sensers? 0,o

or how much did it cost you for mits to do it?

thanks
Play To Win

dannyboi
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby dannyboi » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:41 am

Which airbags are you looking at?

As far as I can tell, the airbags for the front seats has two harness plugs below the seat where you can plug a yellow and white cable. This is something you must definitely get a qualified person or Mitsubishi to do though, as it's quite literally a matter of life or death.

The X
INACTIVE Member Account

Postby The X » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:49 am

I think you'll find the cost of buying airbags a bit prohibitive to make it worthwhile.
Also the ETACS (car computer) I would assume would also have to be programmed to be aware of the airbags so they are going to be useful and deploy.
You'd also need an airbag control unit, that has all the sensors, gyroscopes, accelerometer and all the links to the side intrussion sensor,, front instrusion sensors, etc.
If youre car does not have airbags standard, you'll need all the sensors at various points of the car installed - as the air bags are useless if the ACU doesn't know that a car has T-boned you because there is no side impact sensor.

Sell your car, buy one with airbags, would be cheaper.
"the quieter you become, the more you are able to hear"
More pix @ http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=8779
ImageImage

vshufflers
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby vshufflers » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:28 pm

steering wheel, just above pedals but under the dash, and top dash on the passenger side, all 3 on lancer es 2010 went off, was just curious if i could do the job myself but yea, nah the car has stantard airbags,
Play To Win

Dire
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Dire » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:27 am

If something set your airbags off it would normally be an insurance claim and it'd be covered by that.
Did you have an accident? Or did you mess with something you shouldn't have?

vshufflers
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby vshufflers » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:37 pm

accident,
Play To Win

liam92
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby liam92 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:45 pm

Its not something I would be playing with personally. I know its only plugs but its a pretty serious part. My main worry would be if you were to incorrectly install them and later come to rely on them saving a passengers life and have them fail... the insurance company arent going to be paying that one out

El-Diablo
Lancer VR/GT
Lancer VR/GT

Postby El-Diablo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:54 pm

This is definitely not a do it yourself job. Airbags are an explosive device and need to be treated with care and respect.

Any impact severe enough to set off airbags means the sensors and brackets should also be inspected and tested.

It is also very likely that any seatbelts that were in use will need to be replaced as there is as the likelihood that the pre-tensioning devices have activated. This system pulls the seatbelt tight on impact to prevent you sliding under the seat belt (submarining). Also check the seatbelt itself and the stalk for fraying/damage.

Australian airbags deploy at much higher impact speeds than those in use in the US in the us airbags can deploy at impact speeds of 10 kmh or less as vehicle occupants may not be wearing seatbelts

liam92
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby liam92 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:57 pm

El-Diablo wrote:It is also very likely that any seatbelts that were in use will need to be replaced as there is as the likelihood that the pre-tensioning devices have activated. This system pulls the seatbelt tight on impact to prevent you sliding under the seat belt (submarining).

Those Bast***s hurt!

Return to “Interior”