***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

WTB - Left Air Vent

Post Things You Are Wanting To Buy Or Trade.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

WTB - Left Air Vent

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:37 pm

After a replacement left air vent for my VRX as mine is pushed in and according to the dealer its broken.
Now I might be able to fix it so my first question is how do you get them out so I can check this? Now as far as I can work out you remove the trim that runs the length of the dash and just put it out but where and how?

As for the replacement the Mitsy part number is 8030A083XA, and the local dealer wanted $176 plus $110 to fit it.
I've seen one on eBay from Canada for much cheaper but that's for a left drive so I'm not sure if it fits?

I'll try calling around the wreckers in Brisbane but if anyone has the part please let me know.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

toc
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby toc » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:52 pm

Craig, The picture doesn't let me confirm, is it next to the door, or next to the stereo?

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:20 pm

Next to the door, but it looks like I've found one, will let you know.

Still need to know how to get it out, it know the outside ones are easier, the ones around the stereo you need to take the stereo out right?

toc
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby toc » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:32 pm

The bottom strip has one screw holding it in - on the passenger side open the glove box, you'll observe below the long trim and near the door and glovebox is a plastic peice that can pop out.
Pop it up carefully, and remove the screw that is holding the long trim strip in.

Then gently pry across the long trim peice and it should come out.

Once it's out, and with the glovebox out (easy - it just gets squeezed together at the top to drop down and the arm on the side just pops off), you'll be better able to see the path to that vent.

With the passenger door open, and you looking at the dash from outside (the plastic between the door and the dash) you'll also see a panel that can come out too which could help provide access to the vent.

I've not taken that out, but the above are the steps I would take first to see, I have taken the stereo out and fitted an aftermarket fascia, which required the stereo existing vents from the cars original stereo fascia, they are clipped into the plastic surround near the stereo, so I assume you'll find the same on the ends too.

Plastics, so pry carefully, but you can't go wrong. The airbag is up under there too, so no hammer needed, just be mindful is all.

Getting one? Wreckers, off a ES or VRX! SHouldn't be too much - much of the cost would be in them removing it!
I can't remember Qld all too well - isn't there wreckers there where you can go pull the parts yourself and save $?

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:52 pm

I've taken the long bit off before, and the glove box out along with the piece between the door and glove box.

So it's only the last bit I need help with, I do have some plastic tools used to help remove panels and not damage them.

They sent a photo and it looks the same, also have a bit of chrome on the center knob used to adjust the vent, so looks like a match.

$25 is a good price given the Mitsy deal new price of $179.
I'll be in Brisbane in a few week so decided to pick it up then, instead of paying the postage. Its not urgent and now I have time to get the removal right before I try it for real. I guess with the part off I can more easily see how it's attached.

toc
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby toc » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:28 pm

The panel between the door and the glovebox can't be seen with the door shut if that helps to clarify which one I was referring to.

Piece 1 in this drawing:
http://www.clubcj.net/workshop/SEARCH/2 ... 800ENG.HTM

Piece 3 is what I think you are looking to remove.

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:04 pm

Yes the vent, part 3.
Looking at the image it looks like the vent is pulled from the top first?

Doesn't look like part 1 needs removing.

Here is the PDF of that image, which you can zoom in better to that part.
http://www.clubcj.net/workshop/SEARCH/i ... B00ENG.pdf

toc
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby toc » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:08 pm

Well, 1 is step 1 in the link I gave, 2 is the plastic you see looking at it from the passenger seat. 3 is the third step.

If you look at the section B-B - you see it's just clipped in.
Removing the glove box and piece 1 should give you ample access, and I don't think the long trim piece will need to be removed then!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:35 pm

Just realised I was thinking of going down on a Saturday to pick up the part but the wrecker isn't open on the weekend, I'll work something out.

Also was considering going to the Workshop Day this weekend, to get tips on doing the vent, if anyone their can help. But not sure if I'll have the time now.

Return to “Buying & Trading”