CVT is sh*t

Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Re: CVT is sh*t

Postby burfadel » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:01 pm

The CVT in the Pathfinder is quite heavy duty considering. Car has 202 kW and 340 nm torque, abs a towing capacity of 2700 kg. Not overly impressive typically, but shows what a heavier duty one can do. Despite the x-tronic branding it's still Jatco.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:49 am

Oooo 202kw in a 1313kg car! The most stronger they are the better. There is no doubt any company with wits and money can manufacture parts for the lancer cvt.. they just don’t want to because well.. it’s an economy car. Rebuilding an SST/manual/DSG yeah ofcourse but it seems not many people like CVTs at all
We are all in it for the fun!

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:41 pm

In reading aspires tuning post he made mention of the hopes of cracking the CVT ecu and possibly being able to tune the CVT also, I wonder if anyone has had success in that?
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:14 pm

I would say if some one has it would have to be the magical Merlin

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:07 am

Noticed after getting my car back from last service from Mitsu: dealer.
Hit the go peddle hard with CVT in drive and the engine races all the way to max: rpm

An I dreaming? Or shouldn't it just go up to around 3500 to 4000rpm limit, till the speed catches up.
Haven't said anything to dealer as I don't mind it being this way providing it isn't something gone wrong
with the CVT that's causing it. Hard to believe they did a re tune away from specs: !!!!!!!

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:40 am

Hmmm from collection of my memory I know if I flat floor it itl jump up into 3500(MIVEC) then launches itself slowly to redline not the fastest though but it does it xD

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:41 am

sarusa wrote:Noticed after getting my car back from last service from Mitsu: dealer.
Hit the go peddle hard with CVT in drive and the engine races all the way to max: rpm

An I dreaming? Or shouldn't it just go up to around 3500 to 4000rpm limit, till the speed catches up.
Haven't said anything to dealer as I don't mind it being this way providing it isn't something gone wrong
with the CVT that's causing it. Hard to believe they did a re tune away from specs: !!!!!!!

That is normal. The cvt waits for the engine to reach the maximum power range before the transmission engages properly. It's known as cvt lag. This is why i switch it to manual mode before accelerating hard before switching around 5k revs

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:22 pm

My query is whereas it used to rev out to 3400 to 4000rpm when you floored the accelerator
it now, doesn't stop at the 3400 to 4000rpm limit but keeps on going all the way to 6000rpm
and if allowed, would keep going.

While take off seems more instant, I would presume, rate of acceleration would in fact be marginally slower.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:46 am

Still concerned something isn't as it should be. Will check with Mitsu:

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:53 pm

Sarusa that is just how CVT works, the conditions change so its' operation changes. There are so many variables, air temp, air pressure, fuel temp, fuel quality (knock), fuel pressure, battery voltage, etc.

Here's a block diagram of the variables and complexity of the system:

CVT can be seen in lower left corner and things like A/C play a part (climate control etc.). The car is most likely working as intended and you have to really stop thinking that after every service the dealer has done something wrong.

Seeing as how this thread is going off topic can we just let it die, also as the OP never participated beyond the initial opinion.

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:40 am

Have to test drive a new one and see if it's the same. Does yours do the same thing?
Go all the way up to 6000rpm without pausing at around 3500-4200rps? :?

mrlancealot
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby mrlancealot » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:54 am

I just want to chime in here regarding the CVT system.

While most of the discussion has been focused on the hardware side of things, the other side of the equation is also the software.

The CVT system adapts to your way of driving. That is, if you are an old lady driving a CVT, it accelerate slower and waits longer for a "gear change". If you are a more spirited driver it would go up a bit faster.

After a car service once, I noticed that my car's acceleration has been drastically reduced. Almost as if the fuel pump was about to go.

I took it back and complained that they've probably stuffed something up. They took it for a ride and they said it looked normal.

After driving around with the manual shifter for a while, it came back to normal. And this is where the car has re-learnt my driving style again.

My only complaint about the CVT system is it doesn't instantly adapt. What I mean is, generally I'm not a spirited driver. So when trying to overtake it's still in slow mode and shifts quite sluggishly. This is where I find a normal auto has an advantage.
08 CJ Lancer ES, VR booty, VRX wheels
* Adj Strut Bar
* K&N Air Panel filter

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:48 pm

The CVT in the lancer is,tough as nails
The problem is the hardware driving it.
Do the usual . Wrap all the intake .drop in a K&N. Get the ECU tune done. Just wait till you drive a Lancer with the wrapping done on a CVT. It's bloody nice to drive I assure you.

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:28 pm

You’d be suprised how much it has to do with just the ECU, these cars are ran rich and the engine and tranny will react in a way in which the ECU decides, before my leak most times the car would run typically like how most CVT owners say, but sometimes especially when it’s cold the car acts like a completely different vehicle, I mean going from sluggish and laggy launches , lack of power through all gears and just feeling over all slow to pushing you back at a launch a bit and feeling the car wanna just rip into the road through all gears; which is why we mod and tune, I just can’t wait until my exhaust leak is fixed and the cars tuned, cause right now it feels like it’s a 50ke car

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:35 pm

Thats why I like a proper manual, the only ECU controlling the gear changes is between my ears :)
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Return to “NEW MEMBERS”