Turbo upgrade

Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

TJ's CJ
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Turbo upgrade

Postby TJ's CJ » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:54 pm

Hey im new to this forum. And just recently bought a lancer. CVT.. im just wondering whats out there turbo or turbo kit wise.. and the amount of boost it can handle.. any info and links would help and be appreciated. Cheers...

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Re: Turbo upgrade

Postby ReeceCozaa » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:54 am

All in all unless you’re gonna stay with your lancer for a long time or you got the money it’s not worth it really! The cvt can handle supposedly 4-6PSI as the Manuel can some what handle 9-10, the CVTs not the best for torque heat as the major components go bust in the tranny fast once it receives too much heat, you can get an oversized tranny cooler but all in all I don’t thibk it’s worth it, I know boost juicin performance does a turbo kit for our cars for roughly 4.5k so drive in and drive out all though they don’t tune it which is incredibly vital! I know one person who has turboed their manual 2.4l, and as much as if is cool, it might not be worth the future repairs!
We are all in it for the fun!

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:50 am

I think you're much better off putting that money into a RA or EVO, something designed with a turbo. #my2cents
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:16 am

Lancer1993 wrote:I think you're much better off putting that money into a RA or EVO, something designed with a turbo. #my2cents

This.
Daily: My14 Lancer LX
Weekender: 2009 MY09 Ralliart Hatch

My Mod Thread: viewtopic.php?p=324612#324612
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mitsii_lx

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:11 am

This aswel! The best I’ve found is a lancer going upto 160wkw on the cvt which for 5-7k+ just grab a Ralliart they’re going cheaper now a days and can be built upto 300wkw+

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:14 am

IMO adding a turbo to a CVT wouldn't be the best option.

Consider a turbo as an RPM controlled device, at an engine RPM threshold it will start to generate boost and climb to a peak before tapering off. With a standard manual or dual clutch transmission this works fine, with a CVT the RPM never just climbs it stays constant or even drops as the transmission adjusts to meet the target speed of the car with respect to fuel economy (default tune).

This would result in unpredictable boost and probably cause issues with the ECU.

That's not to say it can't be or hasn't been done before but you rarely hear from people who have how the car is to live with day to day.

But don't forget turbo isn't everything, the NA cars can still be modded to increase performance. Help the engine breathe with intake and exhaust mods, using higher RON/quality fuels, ECU tuning etc.

And as others have said if you want a turbo car probably better and cheaper (blown engine) to get a car that came with one as standard.

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:27 am

Only problem with buying the RAs and such now is clutch and gearbox issues, brakes etc, yes most people have maintained and looked after their RA and appreciated it for what it is. But there are the few who drive it with no regard, the security of a roadworthy doesn't stand for much really as it doesn't take in too much of the drive line, not that any inspection agency bar the dealer does, and the SST clutch while coming down in price you're still looking at a hefty bill for change and service.

In the long run though the turbo route on an NA CVT Lancer will likely cost you more than the initial outlay of an RA and the Clutch and Transmission service, and chances are it won't need the service right away, but just be aware that it could be in the pipeline.
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:50 pm

Oh yeah that’s another thing, the way the CVT functions it wouldn’t be rather the best, there are CVT turbos out there and if would be fun in triptronix mode, but in automatic mode it wouldn’t be the most greatest at utilising boost, in the end like said above you’re best of spending the money on a RA. And building the tranny

Shaun Patterson
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Shaun Patterson » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:27 pm

ReeceCozaa wrote:This aswel! The best I’ve found is a lancer going upto 160wkw on the cvt which for 5-7k+ just grab a Ralliart they’re going cheaper now a days and can be built upto 300wkw+

manual 2.4L turbos only hit 160.. cvt wont go past 120-130 at 6 psi, and that require massive trans coolers

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:11 pm

Oh really? I’m going by what boost juicin performance told me, 160kw is what they say could be achievable just not reliable, I did mention the big cooler and they said it would be great idea to have that in any turbo kitting case for the CVT. 160kw it’s self for that coin just ain’t worth it

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:43 pm

Shaun Patterson wrote:
ReeceCozaa wrote:This aswel! The best I’ve found is a lancer going upto 160wkw on the cvt which for 5-7k+ just grab a Ralliart they’re going cheaper now a days and can be built upto 300wkw+

manual 2.4L turbos only hit 160.. cvt wont go past 120-130 at 6 psi, and that require massive trans coolers

At the you're no better off than a 2.4 without a turbo.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:05 pm

I doubt you will get 160 kw @wheels.

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:06 pm

Hey I could be wrong, this is just information I’ve gathered, the performance shop gave me that number but I’ve also seen a clip of two on YouTube of Cvts hitting 160 or so, how reliable that is, not sure but in end like I said I may be wrong

rasit.aslim
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby rasit.aslim » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:59 pm

It is possible but definitely comes with some risks. Seen some videos on YouTube, some are pulling 160/170kw as Reece mentioned above. Here's a 4A92 Mivec 1.6L turbo
https://youtu.be/bhVZUieEq3E

Copied from this thread, this is someone who's modded their NA from AU. http://projectlancer.net/forums/topic/1 ... turbo-huh/

Code: Select all

i have a 2010 lancer de cvt and was wondering what it what take to turbo my car and if it would work?

I have been running a similar evo x setup to dadsgts on my cvt for the past 11 months. 11psi in manual mode only as a dd driver with no problems. The transmission itself is more than capable of handling the current boost + in manual mode. The problem to overcome is the extra heat created and the inability of the stock oil cooler to do a job it was never designed to.

Would you fit N/A oil cooler to an evo and expect the transmission not to blow? The belt and chain in the cvt were not designed to withstand the boiling temps people seem to be putting them through.... and SNAP goes the chain. Their is also the fact that the transmission oil MUST be upgraded and MUST be changed on a more regular basis despite what the side of the bottle says.

Rrm offer a small oil cooler for your turbo cvt for $200 plus $234 delivery to australia and it even comes with a quart Mitsubishi Factory Spec CVT oil and it will connect directly to your crappy factory cooler and it will pump hot coolant from your radiator at a reduced rate in an slowly failing attempt to cool your ever increasingly boiling Mitsubishi Factory Spec CVT oil.

So the answer was simple bypass/replace the stock oil cooler with something more heavy duty, add an additional cooler and route coolant through a isolated custom built coolant supply. Similar to having a second smaller radiator but dedicated to the transmission alone. so short of upgrading some of the internals of the transmission, which does not seem likely to ever be available. this is a good option for higher cvt boost.

Total cost was just over 1k AUD. upgrade the transmission fluid (not mitsubishi factory oil) and the cooling system or DONT bother going turbo.

evo x turbo

evo x downpipe

evo x intake

megan turbo manifold + outlet

custom throttle body

evo x fuel rail setup

evo x fuel injectors

evo x fuel pump + assembly

brian crower valve springs + retainers

brian crower valves

arp head studs

Manley Pistons 4B11T

custom rods (FORGED)

evo x hks ssqv3 bov

evo x fuel pump

mishimoto evo x intercooler

mishimoto radiator

brian crower cams 272

cat test + centre pipe

hks high power exhaust

TLDR: don't bother unless you're going to upgrade the transmission fluid and cooling system, and have the right parts.

You can turbo a 4b11 cvt. So far the 4b12 cvt has had nothing but failures. The 4b11 cvt can be turboed using low boost 6psi. You would need a 5 psi wastegate for the RA or EVO x turbo thats all. Same process as a manual just diffrent settings.
2017 Lancer ES CF Sport

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby ReeceCozaa » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:57 pm

Man for the whole set up would be easier to just go the RA route

Return to “NEW MEMBERS”