Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

WhiteLancer14
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

summers coming up.

Postby WhiteLancer14 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:22 am

Hi,

First post.

I have a white 2O14 Lancer with a question about aircon settings.
I have noticed the Lancer struggles quite a bit power wise when the aircon is on, which leaves me avoiding using it. But with the heat setting in iv wondered, what is the most reasonable setting I can use to stay cool on the inside without struggling with poor acceleration?

24 degrees and low fan blowing on my face as an example, or is it the difference between the aircon on or off?

Cheers.

ReeceCozaa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Re: summers coming up.

Postby ReeceCozaa » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:36 am

Typically in my experience, more power you pack into it the more reasonable power you get with AC on, I have no clue how to exactly fix it but first difference I noticed was my drop in air filter, with that on AC power was less dropped from what if seemed
We are all in it for the fun!

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:49 am

I don't notice any power loss with the airconditoner on. Not sure how you notice it.
The most fuel efficient way with our cars is to have the windows shut and the airconditoner on. Ensure you are recycling the cabin air. Adjust your fan to suit your comfort level.
I have an Aspire which has climate control. It adjust the fan automatically, so I just set the temperature and it does the rest.

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:56 am

aspir3 wrote:I don't notice any power loss with the airconditoner on. Not sure how you notice it.
The most fuel efficient way with our cars is to have the windows shut and the airconditoner on. Ensure you are recycling the cabin air. Adjust your fan to suit your comfort level.
I have an Aspire which has climate control. It adjust the fan automatically, so I just set the temperature and it does the rest.
+1 here, I have mine set around 25 - 30 at the moment (still cold here *smow* )and crack the sunroof to tilt on sunnier days to help the heat escape, but the noise from the turbulence is horrific...
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

I'm an eccentric smart-arse whose sarcasm has him perpetually in the s#@!.

powermad
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby powermad » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:33 pm

WhiteLancer14 wrote:I have noticed the Lancer struggles quite a bit power wise when the aircon is on, which leaves me avoiding using it.

Absolutely never noticed a reduction in power with the aircon. Easily tackle some large hills with it on.
Best setting is purely a personal preference. As others have said, recirculating the air means the aircon is cooling inside air rather than hot outside air. If your cars been in the sun, just open the windows for a time to exchange some hot air.
For me, on a hot day fan only (no aircon) is a poor second choice.

burfadel
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby burfadel » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:29 pm

Under 80 kph is more efficient with windows down, air con off. Over 80 kph, windows up and fan, and even air con on it's better than windows down on the highway due to aerodynamic drag.

Air con efficiency is a big thing. Not sure if insulating the cold return pipes helps or not.
I might add a pic of my car once I style the exterior a bit :).

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:06 pm

I've not found any loss of power in normal use with the AC in my 2.4 VRX.

Also how effective the AC is depends on a number of factors, mostly the exterior temp. Here in QLD its quite warm this time of year so I tend to run it all the time. Just set my Climate controls to auto then adjust the temp as needed. Only time I have the windows down in summer is if the car has been parked in the sun as it's the best way to blow out the hot air and start the cooling process.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

WhiteLancer14
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby WhiteLancer14 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:21 pm

Thanks for the responses everybody.

I believe further testing is required in regards to my observations of aircon and loss of power. The majority of my driving is in the city. Which results in slot of stop starting, low gear driving.
A new RA snorkel has been ordered from Japan, and a new filter will be installed along with it. Hopefully that will help the engine breathe a bit better on a hot day.

The re circulating cabin air might help, so that will be my first test.

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:29 pm

Over the years i have learnt to always get the windows tinted. The darkest legal tint im aware of is " midnight express"
Do the windows and your infront by a country mile.
On a hot summer day start the car and wind window on rear passenger side down about 5mm or so and set aircon to flat chat and with the fresh air input set.
Once car starts to cool wind the window up and turn the fresh air to recycle air and get the car cool in no time.
I never turn the aircon off.even in winter. Just grab the temp gauge on the cabin temp and wind it up to heat in winter.
Done it for years.
I remeber an aircon guy telling me years ago to do it to keep the gas etc moving and lubing the aircon internals. So i always have and never had an issue with an air con in any of my vehicles over the years ever.
And having said that i have lost count the amount of people i have come across who have told me the same thing

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:22 pm

Quismiff wrote:
aspir3 wrote:I don't notice any power loss with the airconditoner on. Not sure how you notice it.
+1 here, I have mine set around 25 - 30 at the moment (still cold here *smow* )and crack the sunroof to tilt on sunnier days to help the heat escape, but the noise from the turbulence is horrific...

Where on earth could you be to still need heating?! :P
Daily: My14 Lancer LX
Weekender: 2009 MY09 Ralliart Hatch

My Mod Thread: viewtopic.php?p=324612#324612
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mitsii_lx

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:57 am

Just a bit further north than you,but it doesn't get that warm in Tassie does it *bounce*
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:02 am

Set mine on auto, temperature on between 22-26 degrees, generally with fresh air cumming through and only change on rare occasions from that.

Mystique
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby Mystique » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Quismiff wrote:Just a bit further north than you,but it doesn't get that warm in Tassie does it *bounce*

You would be surprised! :P
Daily: My14 Lancer LX
Weekender: 2009 MY09 Ralliart Hatch

My Mod Thread: viewtopic.php?p=324612#324612
Instagram: http://instagram.com/mitsii_lx

Quismiff
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby Quismiff » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:39 am

Just remembered this as I filled in my weekly Fuel consumption (yea I love useless statistics :lolhit: ) this is my fuel consumption graph from the seven months I've owned the VR-X. A couple of anomalies with not filling up completely or petrol being expensive so it didn't fill :cry: I always try to fill to the top of the filler pipe, and always have air con on auto, and it is due a service. The average for the whole time I've owned the car is 9.71L per 100km. Lowest has been 8.5, highest 10.96. So air con doesn't affect fuel consumption as much as driving style, I have a 15 minute tops commute in the morning to work, and up to 30 minutes home, roughly 9kms each way, and i am a bit of a lead foot when going to and from, not so much on weekends when wifey is in the car next to me *angel*
2007 MY08 VR-X (cj-red)

bumblebee
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby bumblebee » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:52 am

I suspected the air con didn't effect fuel economy all that much
I think how much of a lead foot you are will nake a far greater difference

Return to “NEW MEMBERS”