2011 Lancer VRX - Welcome & Body Kit Questions

Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

jjb
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Re: 2011 Lancer VRX - Welcome & Body Kit Questions

Postby jjb » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:13 pm

TW77 wrote:Mitsy just quoted me $585 to change air filter, order/install "air inlet pipe". Did you guys just change over yourselves or have a mechanic do it?

If you're just referring to installing the RA snorkel and a K&N air filter, they are both very simple switch overs from the existing. The K&N is a drop-in filter, so you literally just open up the air-box part, remove the existing and drop the K&N one in then latch the box back up

And the snorkel is as easy as removing the two front bolts on the existing intake, pulling it out and then placing the RA snorkel in its place. It's also worth looking at improving the air flow vent/s in front of the intake as well. For more on this, check out this thread;

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18186

But you're way better off to purchase and do these mods yourself, as you'll be paying a lot for what is a simple and straight forward job

sarusa
Lancer Legend
Lancer Legend

Postby sarusa » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:18 pm

TW77 wrote:Cool, what type of differences did it make after putting the RA snorkel on?

Cant quantify power gain haven't the equipment but wispy sound under acceleration changes to a pleasant roar, smoother take off from rest and improvement throughout throttle range. Existing snorkel is restrictive and the added holes under it, where it goes over, just behind the battery, drags in hot air. To me one of the best dollars I've spent on my car.

According to our Guru Merlin its one of the best starting points for future performance mods and coupled with a decent muffler or better still cat back exhaust 21/4 - 21/2 inch will with a tune give you a worthwhile power boost. :D

jjb
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby jjb » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:20 pm

This is just to give you an idea of the visual difference/ comparison between the stock intake and the Ralliart intake. There's also the K&N filter, but you really couldn't spot the difference between that and the stock filter :lol:

jjb
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby jjb » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:22 pm

sarusa wrote:Cant quantify power gain haven't the equipment but wispy sound under acceleration changes to a pleasant roar, smoother take off from rest and improvement throughout throttle range. Existing snorkel is restrictive and the added holes under it, where it goes over, just behind the battery, drags in hot air. To me one of the best dollars I've spent on my car

Agreed. It's a very worthy investment. Adds some 'oompf' to the engine :D Especially with a nice exhaust. Give it a better roar 8)

TW77
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby TW77 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:54 pm

You guys are awesome thanks heaps! Already ordered the snorkel can't wait to complete this mod. :D
TW77

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:58 pm

TW77 wrote:Mitsy just quoted me $585 to change air filter, order/install "air inlet pipe".

Doesn't surprise me they want to charge that much.

Wanted to get the reversing warning thing, which is mostly plug in with my VRX, the wiring is in place except for the wire in the bumper, they wanted over $500 when their is maybe $100 in parts if you get any 3rd part ones.

Did you guys just change over yourselves or have a mechanic do it?

Yes its an easy install, doing in one minute... longer if you want to paint it first :)
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

jjb
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby jjb » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 pm

TW77 wrote:You guys are awesome thanks heaps! Already ordered the snorkel can't wait to complete this mod. :D

No dramas at all. Happy to help out :D I'm also quite 'inexperienced' and new to a lot of this stuff.. YouTube/Google is a brilliant help as well. Especially when you're part-way through something that should've been 'easy' and it's gone to sh*t for you :lol: Haha

Lancer1993 wrote:Doesn't surprise me they want to charge that much

I'm also not surprised. I can understand that they don't want to, and can't do things for free, but with little jobs like this, they basically charge highway robbery for it! With a bit of help/ YouTube how-to video, it's so much cheaper to do yourself!

TW77
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby TW77 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:53 pm

You Tube is another good source for sure, is the Lancer GT in Amercia the equivalent to the VRX here in Oz?
TW77

Mooman
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Mooman » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:11 pm

The GT is an AWD naturally aspirated Lancer, the GTS is fairly similar to our VRX, XLS, GSR etc.

TW77
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby TW77 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:18 pm

Ok thanks for confirming Mooman.
TW77

TW77
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby TW77 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:47 pm

Hey Lancer 1993, my thoughts are pretty much the same in regards to b car car, it’s a shame Mitsubishu aren’t making Lancers,RA’s or Rvo’s anymore. After having black I’ll never go back instead white is the new black.

I know it’s been a while since my Bodykit was installed however last night I was taking quite an interest and frustration in the front I’m seeing some minor flaws that are starting to really erk me for example, I don’t have a mitsy logo on the front grill, my fog lights are behind the mesh grill and looks shit, I’ve lost the chrome lining VRX’s have and I’ve already chipped 2 bits off the bottom of the front end from bottoming out of driveways. The front looks unfinished to me.

I’m looking for someone in Brisbane to help out and fix the issues do you know of anyone or business that can assist, just to remind I’m don’t have the ability to perform my own mods, I just know what I want and need to find someone to do it. And info would be helpful?
TW77

Lancer1993
Genius
Genius

Postby Lancer1993 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:22 pm

My current plans are pay off the loan, about 18 months to go, and then look at a Ralliart upgrade. So not planning any more major mods, clean up a few things and keep it serviced then start shopping around for a late model stock RA, in white, prefer a sedan but will take the sports back.
My rides CJ VRX - CC coupe

TW77
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby TW77 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:39 pm

Yeh fair enough I thought I was done with the mods also until i paid more attention to the front end of my car, would love to get an RA or Evo but will keep the VRX for a lot longer.

Apologies for all the bloody spelling errors, corrective text on phone isn’t always a helpful tool. All the best though with finding an RA :D
TW77

TW77
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby TW77 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:25 pm

Hey Everyone, I'd be interested to see where you are all at with your Lancers, do you still have them? I still have mine & looking at another slight upgrade on replacing the front bumper as I mentioned in one of my last updates I wasn't happy with it & still not as there are more cracks, paint chips etc, the under guard hanging a bit so I'm deciding on whether to put the original front end back on with a lip OR source a different front bumper (plastic this time not fibre glass).
Also looking at re-spraying the car, now its coming on 10yrs old the QLD sun & general wear-n-tear is looking a bit shabby IMO.

Look forward to hopefully hear from you any of you.
TW77

Return to “NEW MEMBERS”