Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Lancerman
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

New Member Hunter Valley NSW

Postby Lancerman » Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:56 pm

G'day all,

Terry here from the Hunter Valley in Nuisance Wales.

Just joined up, taking a new 2015 Lancer Sportback 2.4 MIVEC and CVT for a test run tomorrow with the family. I'd say it's a 99.9% chance this will be my first Mitsubishi ever.

Nothing real fancy compared to most cars on here but the price is right for me ($21990 on road) and I reckon they look and go pretty good.

Get ready for my Newbie-to-Mitsubishi questions, go easy on me, I'm used to working on cars with carburettors.

Cheers,

Terry

judg3
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX

Postby judg3 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 10:06 pm

G'day! Welcome Terry. You'll love the car

VRX_08
Genius
Genius

Postby VRX_08 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:12 pm

Welcome! :D

xCeazy
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby xCeazy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:34 pm

Welcome! :D
Fraser Coast, Queensland.

Lancerman
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Lancerman » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:16 pm

Thanks fellas,

Took the Ministeress-of-War/Finance-and-Arguements along with my two screenage kids for a test drive today and we all loved the car.

Looks like we'll probably take delivery of it around Wednesday.

I've hit 50 yrs old this year so I'm a bit of an old fart but the cars definitely too high ( needs lowering), wheels too narrow, can't hear exhaust............

Haven't even got it home and already I want to fiddle with it!!!

No Grandpa owner here........

....... *cool*

JustinR
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JustinR » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:40 am

Welcome!

I'm sure you'll find most of your questions already answered here on the forum somewhere :)

lancerdarryl
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby lancerdarryl » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:45 am

Welcome Terry,hopefully see you around our way sometime.
Evolution X MR+ Lancer VRX Sportback +LA Lancer GSR
"Don't back off until you hit something"

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:23 pm

@ Terry aka Lancerman

(WTTC) and Congrats on your 2015 Lancer Sportback 2.4 MIVEC / CVT :D

You mentioned:
I've hit 50 yrs old this year so I'm a bit of an old fart.
Haven't even got it home and already I want to fiddle with it!!!
The cars definitely too high (needs lowering), wheels too narrow, can't hear exhaust.
Get ready for my Newbie-to-Mitsubishi questions, go easy on me, I'm used to working on cars with carburettors.

I'm 58, and have been playing with engines & cars since I was 14 and still enjoy it ....
Far better results than playing with the Missus .... :P

I'm sure you'll have many Performance based questions to ask, and fortunately for you, you'll be privileged by the 8yrs of already "Tried & Tested" mods that have been applied and/or rejected by those pursuing the most of Performance Gains.

There are many Aftermarket Performance Products available for the current Lancer.
However, many of them produce "Performance Sound" :roll: .... rather than .... "Performance Gain" :D

There are 4 Main & Only Performance Mods needed to increase your 2.0L or 2.4L engine output by up-to 50%
I've done it on my 2.4L Aspire and have the Merlin Virtual Tune Run Sheet to prove it. (Read my post: SAM-24A on 13th Nov 2015 @ 2:50pm)

Read These Threads:
There are the 4 Main Performance Mods you need to apply, and the Links for you to read through:
1) Air Intake ---- "IMPROVE - MAXIMISE INTAKE AIR FLOW"
2) Headers ----- "EXHAUST HEADERS" - NA Lancers
--------------------"SUPER CIRCUIT" 4-2-1 HEADERS
3) Exhaust ----- A decent quality Stainless Steel Exhaust (2.0L) 2 1/4" > (2.4L) 2 1/2" fitted with a 200CPI Catalytic Converter, Hi Flow Mufflers & Resonators.
Finally & Most Important/Absolutely Necessary.
4) ECU Tune ---- Merlin -- "VIRTUAL DYNO" --- My Run Sheet from Merlin Virtual Dyno Tune

Happy reading Terry .... :lol:
Last edited by SAM-24A on Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

Lancerman
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Lancerman » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:41 pm

Thanks fellas,

I'm a bit up the road from you Darryl, I'm in Scone but I do head to Newy fairly often, I should come down sometime and say g'day.

Sam, you sound a lot like me, my first car at 12 yrs was a $30 FB Holden panel van and funnily enough 38 years later my daily driver is still a 1960 FB Holden....... But now a sedan!!

Digressing,

Yes I'm lucky that I've got this collective think-tank here on this forum with 8 years of CJ experience behind them to help me minimise mistakes and offer advice to the many questions I'll probably be asking and your proven engine mods Sam is a classic example of mistake minimising/money wasting tried and tested advice that will be VERY handy for me.

Like I said a few posts up there, I'm used to working on old technology engines ( read '60's/'70's muscle car era cars) so this generation of high technology cars is going to be a big learning curve for me.

First thing I'll probably tackle once I settle down into Lancer ownership is fitment of wider and better wheels, and I've got the permission from the trouble-and-strife ( wife) to get some nicer wheels so bring it on!!!!

Gunna need to know maximum width I can go, offset specs etc etc., probably have to start another thread on that subject if I can't find same/similar answers to same question on here.

Cheers,

Terry

SAM-24A
Alumni
Alumni

Postby SAM-24A » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:55 pm

@ Terry aka Lancerman

The stock wheels / tyres on your GSR Sportback are:
Wheel --- 18" x 7" x 46mm Offset .... PCD: 5 Stud x 114.3mm
Tyre ------ 215 x 45 x 18

Now since your an Old Fart, a Family Man and have a Ministress for Trouble & Strife (wife) at the helm, you'll probably want to play safe and keep everything you do to your new GSR Sportback ...... Sedate & Comfortable.

Wheels:
Keep to the 18" Diameter .... 19" & 20" will definitely fit, however a lower tyre sidewall profile will create/promote a harsher ride.
Width of Wheel .... Your best size would be 8" wide (most common on 18" wheels) with a Maximum of 36-40mm Offset.
Anything less than 36-40 (eg: 30mm will cause Tyre Scrub on Guard)

8 1/2" wheel widths are available on 18" wheels, however they "DO NOT" comply with the RTA regulations of 26mm max width over stock.
Simple Maths: 7" Stock > 8 1/2" = Increase of 1 1/2" @ 25.4mm/inch = 38.1mm.

They also require a 235/245mm min tyre width to stretch & reach the wheel lip properly.
Nothing looks worst than a wheel with exposed lip's because the tyre isn't wide enough.
8 1/2" wide wheels will also require a higher offset to bring them back to centre line so you don't rub the guards.

Tyres:
The NSW RTA, now known as "Services NSW" has a ruling on Max Wheel & Tyre sizes:
Quoted off the RTA Website.
Minor changes to Wheels & Tyre's
Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA.
The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle.
And not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle.

Link: Guidelines for Alternative Wheels and Tyres

This is arguably the best online Wheel & Tyre Comparison Tools:
Rims & Tyre's - Wheel Master

Using this tool will show that your stock wheel/tyre combo of 215x45x18 = 651mm Tyre Diameter.
If you add the allowance of 15mm, your max overall tyre diameter will be = 666mm Tyre Diameter.

In your case of pursuing comfort (the wife) and less wheel to guard gap, a 225x45x18 tyre sized at 659mm would be your best choice ... *thumb*
This is the size I run on my Aspire mounted on 18" x 8" Rims.
Many guys run a 235 wide tyre with a 40 aspect ratio, but this brings the tyre diameter down to 645mm, which is 6mm smaller than GSR stock .... *confused*
If you go & run a 235 wide tyre with a 45 aspect ratio, then this brings the tyre diameter up - to 669mm, which is 3mm taller than RTA allowed .... *nono*

Play around with the Wheel Master Comparison Tool to see for yourself the differences & what sizes are acceptable within the 666mm Max Range.

Suspension:
You basically have 2 choices here.

Coil-Overs
BC Racing Coil-Overs are about the best your going to get for price & conformity for the current model lancer.
Fully Adjustable Ride Height & Valving.
Link = Coil-Overs B-19-RA (BR Design RA Series) $1299

Lowering Springs
There are heaps of Good & Crappy Springs available from all sorts of Brand names.
The Best because of their Origin, R&D & Metal Material is --- Link: EIBACH Springs
They offer 2 types for the CJ Lancer
Link: Pro Kit ------ Black --- Upto 40mm Drop --- Medium Ride --- Slightly Firmer than Stock .... *thumb*
Link: Sport Line --- Red ---- Upto 50mm Drop --- Very Firm Ride --- Way Too Firm for Road ... *nono*

Important Note: The EIBACH "Pro Kit Springs" are available in 2 versions:
Part No: SKU: 6048.140A .... are for the Sedan & Hatch "NA" 2008 >
Part No: SKU: 6050.140A .... are for the Sedan & Hatch "Turbo" 2008 >

You Obviously require the SKU: 6048.140A for NA (Normally Aspirated) @ $448

Video How To Link = EIBACH Lowering Spring Install Video -- Mitsubishi Lancer 2008 >

Hope this Info will suffice and keeps you Busy for a While ..... *thumb*
Last edited by SAM-24A on Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sam ..... *thumb*
Merlinised MIVEC - AspiRe 2.4L

xCeazy
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby xCeazy » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:57 pm

Welcome :D
Fraser Coast, Queensland.

Lancerman
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie

Postby Lancerman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:40 pm

Thanks Curtis *smile*

Wow Sam, Im really going to avoid costly mistakes when you blokes have that sort of information and experience on hand and willing to share, and yep, its gunna take a while to digest it all, , lotsa good reading there!!

On another note,

Picked up our new Lancer today so now im now officially a proud CJ Lancer owner.

Just a run o the mill standard GSR sportback and nothing fancy compared to most on here but its what I could afford and my first new car ever so the familys all excited.

Ive spoken to at least 20 people recently who have either owned a CJ Lancer or still own one and all have said they are great cars with no problems.

.My nephew has a 2012 CJ sedan and being a P plater and a typical young revhead he has flogged and tortured his car and hardly ever maintained and serviced it and its never let him down............yet !!!

Grumblebum ( also known as my wife *lol* *lol* ) won the arguement for who drives it to work tomorrow so Im in command of my 1960 FB Holden once again for tomorrows drive to work.

Terry

chris.petersen
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Re: New Member Hunter Valley NSW

Postby chris.petersen » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:54 pm

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 - 225/45ZR18 tyres on my 2010 Lancer VRX Sportback. These are SERIOUSLY AWESOME TYRES...Car handles like it's on rails even in the wet. Big thank you to Mark Webber for his recommendation.

Regards, Chris.

Return to “NEW MEMBERS”