Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

Tempest10012001
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Check engine light with CAI

Postby Tempest10012001 » Sat May 10, 2014 10:14 am

Hi there,

I just recently bought a Takeda Cold Air Intake and Catalytic Converter back Straight Pipe Exhaust. I`ve been driving on both for about a month now and 2 weeks into installing my Cold air intake the engine light came on. I checked the code with a OBD 2 reader and it says its burning too lean.

So my question is do I have to get the ECU reflashed and tuned or is it something I did while installing the CAI..

Also is anyone else experiencing this as well..

sleeper
Alumni
Alumni

Postby sleeper » Sat May 10, 2014 10:18 am

someone else had trouble with a takeda CAI, something to do with the MAF housing being wrong from memory, Dora Anne.

weekends are a bit quiet mate, wait till monday, someone will know more or u could PM dora.

or search for the thread :)
210 KWATW 400nm RALLIART Virtual Dyno 1/1
http://goo.gl/GrUosm

Damir
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby Damir » Sat May 10, 2014 12:28 pm

if it is too lean then thats the exhaust im pretty sure
when you had the cai did you flog it after you installed it or let it idle for like 10min and then drive nicely
could also be the reason
but if the error is too lean then that is your exhaust
My Build Thread : http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=14731
ROTM Winner OCTOBER 2015 (Nominated for favourite CJ)
-Australia's first airbagged CJ-

Kal777
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby Kal777 » Sat May 10, 2014 5:23 pm

running lean means that there is something causing the car to not inject the right amount of fuel to achieve the correct burn ration. this can be caused by two things, the Precat Oxygen sensor in the exhaust this would cause the car to run rich, or the Air Flow sensor in the intake reading the incorrect amount of air causing the engine to run lean or rich. given the engine is running lean i would say its the intake.

check all the clamps and joints on the piping as any air getting into the intake after the sensor will cause a lean condition. if that doesnt help it may be that the pipe where the air flow sensor is located is not the same size as stock, or the air flow sensor is not the same depth as stock into the pipe. this will also cause a lean condition.
Injen Cold Air Intake/K&N Invert Pod/BC BR Coilovers/Whiteline Strut Brace/DrIft Blade seats/Penrite HPR5/Penrite ProGear/PBR Gold Dot

DORA_ANNE
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby DORA_ANNE » Sat May 10, 2014 8:14 pm

sleeper wrote:someone else had trouble with a takeda CAI, something to do with the MAF housing being wrong from memory, Dora Anne. weekends are a bit quiet mate, wait till monday, someone will know more or u could PM dora. or search for the thread :)

Yeap That was me Steve but I had the SRI & it's still sitting in my shed :roll: lol I have been slack I know .. Just haven't been down to see Merlin as yet but Iam itching to get the Intake back on ,

Anyways @ Chris , Here is the thread I put up & it may help as members have spoken a bit about what the problem may be .

http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=12398 ... ight+error
Angels Are Sometimes Disguised As Friends

Return to “NEW MEMBERS”