***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

VIC / MickyG / New (Sad) VIC Lancer VR Owner

Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

MickyG
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby MickyG » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:44 am

Well that's the thing. I didn't see any damage but the panel shop replaced (apparently) the bumper and fender. So maybe thy were damaged after all.

I was under the impression both those parts were made of plastic, so I figured they'd return to their original shapes after the load was removed (in this case, the weight if the car pressing the tyre outward against the fender).

Not that in complaining-new panels and new paint should be a good thing!

I hope the chassis was unaffected though. I'm not a fan of structural damage. Repaired or not.

citris.87
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS

Postby citris.87 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:48 am

I spot a cop behind you in the first pic, did you tell him how you were driving along, then all of a sudden a curb jumped out in front of you? haha.

MickyG
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby MickyG » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:55 am

I was hoping someone would see that!

He was awesome. The neighbour called the police after I smacked the curb in front of his house (thanks!) and the highway patrol was there in a very short couple of minutes. After I did the mandatory breathalyser, he asked what happened and I old him I lost control. He said I was probably going too fast but with the wet roads it was impossible to say for sure. He directed traffic until the tow truck arrived. The car wouldn't move with the wheel squashed under it!

So yeah, no fine, no condemnation when I was probably due some, and we weren't hurt. Good outcome, all around.

I need to upload a map of where it happened. I'm still baffled that I lost it where I did and not directly before, at the sharper turn. It's like I had no grip after the turn.

MickyG
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby MickyG » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:18 am

This is probably more for my reference than anything else, but here we go:

The pin is where I hit the curb. The first 90 degree turn on the left was fine, no sliding at all. The second right hand turn was also fine, I think. It was the final one that got me. My recollection is pretty tainted with the adrenaline after the curb check and because of that, I honestly don't understand what happened! Just seems bizarre that it was the last little shallow turn that got me.

MickyG
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby MickyG » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:47 pm

Got the car back! It all appears to be ok. One wheel replaced, the other was apparently repaired. They both appear brand new. New bumper, and guard, with fresh paint. I wonder if it's thicker paint than factory? ;)

That's all the external stuff. Apparently the rear suspension was also slightly damaged, the wheel bearing was no good as well. I'll get a full list from my insurance soon to see the full extent of the damage.

My original estimate of hitting the curb at 30 no longer seems plausible...

Glad this chapter is finally at a close!

SIX
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby SIX » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:54 pm

at least you have it back u can now enjoy
1998 MR lancer
2009 CJ lancer sportback
2011 Renault Sport RS250 Trophee Cup
2000 Tommi Makenin Evolution 6.5

Mizta B
Alumni
Alumni

Postby Mizta B » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:00 am

Hi Michael and welcome!
Bad luck about the accident but at least no major injuries and the car is all good again
I feel your pain, I hit a curb in a previous Lancer and wrote it off at low speed (35kms)
Best of luck from here on and enjoy ClubCJ they are a great bunch of people.
Cheers Mizta B (Chris) *cool*
Australasian Gerbil Rearers Organisation, Official Re-Seller.
MY09 Rally Red VRX ClubCJ's 1st 4B12 2.4L - CCJ Lifetime Member #0004.
Merlinised....

MickyG
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby MickyG » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks Chris, happy to be here.

MickyG
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner

Postby MickyG » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:01 pm

So I've had the car for a few weeks and all is well except for an annoying grinding/creaking sound when braking. And it's something that seems worse when it's cold, although I'm finding it hard to prove that. It's speed dependent. It's only there when braking and not when slowing down with the engine or manually selecting a low gear (CVT).

I've had it back to the repair shop already and they say they fixed it. Apparenly there were metal shards on the brake pads and there was a something rubbing on the rotor (gee, that's great).

Except the noise is still there and didn't seem to improve at all.

I'm reluctant to take it back to them, though I know I'll have to. I don't like being without my car and the loan cars they have on hand are abysmal! But they're free so I shouldn't complain.

Anywa, I'll start up a new thread on this, as it's not great to have this issue hiding in an intro thread. If anyone has any advice on how to host a sound file so i can upload a sample of the noise from my iPhone, that'd be great.

Return to “NEW MEMBERS”