Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: Moderators, Senior Moderators

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Draevon - Moving from Gemini to Lancer

Postby draevon » Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:22 pm

Hey Guys,

Just in the process of moving into the CJ Lancer world after 10 years of driving Geminis in the OzGemini Car Club. After engine swap number 5, I decided it was time to buy myself something new, so have just recently picked myself up a Silver 08 VR Lancer. The idea was that I was supposed to leave it untouched and give up on modifying cars, however that plan has already gone out the window.

My car is still fairly basic: So far I've just blacked out the front, debadged it, gear knob, AUX in, modified the intake a little and fitted a shift light, however I have some eyelids, LED taillights, CF interior trim and hopefully a front strut bar on the way. Also thinking about a GReddy Exhaust, just trying to justify the cost :)

New cars go pretty well, and it's nice being able to have a conversation at highway speed. After driving a car that revved out to 8000rpm and screamed when it got there though, I've hit the rev limiter more than a few times in a car that sneaks it's way up to 6500. I'm getting the hang of it.

Here are some pictures of my old car until my Lancer is something worth looking at. I built it from the ground up, and it was my baby for about 4 years.

Tim - aka draevon

Last edited by draevon on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust - TEIN S.Tech Springs - Injen CAI- 3D Eyelids - Carbon Fiber Interior - Pivot Shift Light - Smoked LED Taillights - Carbonout & Debadge.

LZY_EYE
Genius
Genius

Postby LZY_EYE » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:23 pm

Welcome to ClubCJ :)

Nice old Gemmy there, but I agree it is nice having a new car :)

scraverX
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby scraverX » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:12 pm

Welcome to the club, and yeah it's very nice having a new car. The CVT's sneak their way up to highway speeds even more then the manual's... trust me on this. :D
"Max" 2009 MY10 RX, Black. CCJ Lifetime Premium Member #0125
Car & Home audio nut.
Car audio brands used: Audison, Eclipse, Hybrid Audio Technology, Precision Power, Polk Audio, Pioneer PRS
Home Audio: Denon, Epos, Pro`ject, AKG

aspir3
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aspir3 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:17 pm

The old Gemini, that brings back memories. I had a TX Gemini for 10 years. You must have a lead foot to have 5 engines. The lancer is in a different league to the Gemini, 30 years of technology and it shows. You have a lot of mods already, you will love or hate this club as it will give you great ideas and support heaps.
Welcome and don't forget to post all the mods on the car

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:23 pm

Not so much a lead foot ... but highly strung engines. 30 year old engines have a habit of blowing up anyways, so build them up to race spec and the longevity goes out the window. My second last engine was the one I spent the money on. Got it up to approx 150hp and had it for over 100000km, but when it finally packed it in I decided I'd had enough. Dropped a new engine in and sold it off.

Yeah this forum is probably bad news for me ... seeing waaay too many things I want to put in the car :)

GReddy Spectrum Elite Exhaust - TEIN S.Tech Springs - Injen CAI- 3D Eyelids - Carbon Fiber Interior - Pivot Shift Light - Smoked LED Taillights - Carbonout & Debadge.

blade888
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby blade888 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:14 pm

Welcome!!

Hope you're enjoying the lancer! Would be a brand new experience from the good ol Gemini!
Sportback VR/GReddy Spectrum Elite/Advanti Medusa/K&N High-Flow Performance Panel Filter/Cusco Racing Braces

scraverX
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby scraverX » Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:18 pm

Yep, good and bad that's for certain. I could go nuts on things like suspension so it's a bit of a challenge to temper myself and say 'no, I don't need adjustable coil overs and braces out the wahzoo' :D.

Car & Home audio nut.

Car audio brands used: Audison, Eclipse, Hybrid Audio Technology, Precision Power, Polk Audio, Pioneer PRS

driftnut((
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby driftnut(( » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:48 pm

im with scraver almost spent 2k today on upgrades its bad man, but manual better than CVT and if scraver thinks other wise looks like we'll have to have a drag lol

driftnut((.. ClubCJ's first RX TURBO, Merlinised, K&N pod 18" KING wheels, BC coil overs, Alpine/Pioneer system, Short shifter, Cat back system, Evo x turbo system, ralliart injectors & pump

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:18 pm

Yeah manuals definately have it. Was pretty sure I wanted a Manual anyways, to prevent CVT related boredom, but when i compared the Manual and CVT on CarSales:

CVT 2.0L
0-100km/h: 10.5 seconds
Consumption: 8.2L/100km

Manual 2.0L
0-100km/h: 9.5 seconds
Consumption: 7.8L/100km

So a manual has 10% better 0-100 time, and 5% better economy ... seemed like a pretty easy decision. The think I think was funniest was the 2.4 CVT:

2.4L CVT
0-100km/h: 9.8 seconds
Consumption: 8.9L/100km

So if you spend the extra cash for a 2.4L engine, and then spend the extra cash for the CVT, you'll be stuck with a car that takes 0.3 seconds longer to get to 100km/h then the poverty pack manual with a smaller engine. I would have thought they'd have gone out of their way to ensure all 2.4s were faster than all 2.0s, but then I'm not a car company exec, so what would I know. Seems to be plenty of people around with CVTs too, so doesn't look like a major concern for most people.

scraverX
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby scraverX » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:23 pm

I was more pointing out the fact that since the CVT has no noticeable sign that its changed ratios it really does sneak up the speed.

Ignore the figures. I can get 7.1 across town depending on the route I take. And on the drive up to Wakefield Park and back I was getting as low as 6.1. 110km/h on the cruise control @ just under 2500 rpm on the flat bits.

Also I didn't buy my car for it's 0-100 time. I don't race it, I don't plan to. I drive primarily through suburbs and city centres. 50 or 60 km/h. Traffic lights. Roundabouts. School zones. Pedestrian crossings. So what if a manual can get up to 100km/h in 9.5 sec, make use of it on a public street and you'll be dicing with getting booked. On top of these things I find an auto (in this case CVT) much easier to drive. It's one less thing for me to concentrate on.

To each their own, I say. :D

Car & Home audio nut.

scraverX
Lancer MASTER
Lancer MASTER

Postby scraverX » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:24 pm

I was more pointing out the fact that since the CVT has no noticeable sign that its changed ratios it really does sneak up the speed.

Ignore the figures. I can get 7.1 across town depending on the route I take. And on the drive up to Wakefield Park and back I was getting as low as 6.1. 110km/h on the cruise control @ just under 2500 rpm on the flat bits.

Also I didn't buy my car for it's 0-100 time. I don't race it, I don't plan to. I drive primarily through suburbs and city centres. 50 or 60 km/h. Traffic lights. Roundabouts. School zones. Pedestrian crossings. So what if a manual can get up to 100km/h in 9.5 sec, make use of it on a public street and you'll be dicing with getting booked. On top of these things I find an auto (in this case CVT) much easier to drive. It's one less thing for me to concentrate on.

To each their own, I say. :D

Car & Home audio nut.

SIR-VRX
Genius
Genius

Postby SIR-VRX » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:09 pm

Welcome to the club mate!!

Where abouts in Brisbane are you from?

Also, we'd love to see you on a cruise one day! our next one is on the 22nd November, have a look here: http://clubcj.net/viewtopic.php?t=2868

Adrian.

Graham
Post Monster
Post Monster

Postby Graham » Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:16 am

Welcome!
Glad to see you made a swap to a CJ, the Gemenis are pretty good, there is one (in WA) who I cruise with every Sunday.

Plenty of mods here to have fun with :P
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.
ImageImage
Daily Driver: Yamaha R1
Weekend Warrior: BMW Z4 Roadster

billyboy
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution

Postby billyboy » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:14 pm

Welcome to the club!...Yeah bad news to be hanging aroung here if you just want to keep it stock. :P

So what's up with the old Gem now? Still got her or sold?

draevon
Lancer Ralliart
Lancer Ralliart

Postby draevon » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:34 pm

Thanks Guys,

The Coupe got sold to a guy in Sydney who flew up and drove it home (I'm in Greenslopes, 5km south of the city). I thought about keeping it and just taking it for a run once in a while, but realistically with a shiney new car in the driveway undergoing a constant string of mods, I doubt I'd ever touch it again. Besides, the cash I got can help convince me to get a GReddy SE for the back of the Lancer :)

Return to “NEW MEMBERS”