***** ALERT - Nominations for your new ClubCJ Committee can be made here *****

Just bought a new Lancer and need some advice

Please Introduce Yourself Here.

Moderators: Senior Moderators, Moderators

Frostlord
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Just bought a new Lancer and need some advice

Postby Frostlord » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:22 am

Hi guys, I just bought myself a new 2017 Lancer black edition a couple of weeks ago and I was hoping to give it a bit more power, can anyone suggest what are some good mods to get me started? I was thinking a new exhaust or a cold air intake would be a good place to start.

Also, I was wondering what are some good Australian websites where I can buy quality parts?

Thanks

bumblebee
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Just bought a new Lancer and need some advice

Postby bumblebee » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:35 am

Gday and welcome aboard.
Rather then CAI use the stock intake but put in a better air filter eg K&N or similar. Change the stick air intake snorkel to a RA one and go nuts wrapping the intake with gold reflecting tape.wrap air box in gold reflecting sheet. Wrap as much of the radiator hoses in 1 inch exhaust wrap. Bypass the throttle body and disconnect the radiator hoses to throttle body.
Lots of info on the forum about these already.
Go searching and do lots of reading
Also chase up user "merlin" and get your lancer EFI tuned and if you want power theres lots to get with out going broke

Frostlord
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Re: Just bought a new Lancer and need some advice

Postby Frostlord » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:42 am

Awesome, thanks for the help. I'll take a look on the site.

Just wondering if you know a good website to purchase these parts?

User avatar
Ronan.Butler11
Lancer VRX/GTS
Lancer VRX/GTS
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:38 pm
Location: Sydney, NSW, AUS

Re: Just bought a new Lancer and need some advice

Postby Ronan.Butler11 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:04 am

Depends what you want. For the RA snorkel i just went to an evo wreckers and got one on the cheap

K&N filter ive seen sca have them

A lot of myparts are just random places online tbh. Exhaust was sourced online. Transported to exhaust shop where i collected it and out on myself etc
"When I Grow Up, I Wanna Be An Evo! (9 MR with a filthy BOV)

'09 Lancer VRX
Modifications:
De-Res Then a 2.5" Dual Exit X-Force Axle back Exhaust
18" King Rims
Ralliart Snorkel
LED No. Plate lights and interior
*insert further useless modifications to make it seem like i'm good at this*

Frostlord
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Re: Just bought a new Lancer and need some advice

Postby Frostlord » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:25 am

Ok thanks, I'll give that a try

bumblebee
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:22 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Just bought a new Lancer and need some advice

Postby bumblebee » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:59 am

I got my k&n from supercheapauto on special for about $50

Look thru ebay for the ra snorkel or try rpw in Perth

User avatar
jjb
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:59 am
Location: Wide Bay, QLD

Re: Just bought a new Lancer and need some advice

Postby jjb » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:24 pm

Hey, and welcome!

As others have said, there's a few good mods to do to give your Lancer a bit more oomphf :lol:

First, and best place to start, I suggest you check out this thread;

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18186

Toward the end, I posted a website where I found the best price for an RA Snorkel.. K&N (or similar) filters are pretty easy to find on eBay. Got mine for about $76

Anyway, look forward to seeing your ride, and finding out what mods you do to it :D

ReidVR
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:07 pm
Location: Newcastle, NSW

Re: Just bought a new Lancer and need some advice

Postby ReidVR » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:06 pm

Is a K&N filter worth it? Any improvements?
MY09 CJ VR Lancer (soon to be turbo’d)

User avatar
jjb
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:59 am
Location: Wide Bay, QLD

Re: Just bought a new Lancer and need some advice

Postby jjb » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:09 pm

ReidVR wrote:Is a K&N filter worth it? Any improvements?


I put my K&N filter in before I'd done my exhaust or RA snorkel, and I did notice a difference.. Not huge, but still enough of a noticeable acceleration from stop/ lower gears..

ReidVR
Lancer Newbie
Lancer Newbie
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:07 pm
Location: Newcastle, NSW

Re: Just bought a new Lancer and need some advice

Postby ReidVR » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:15 pm

Nice, that’s kind of what I’m looking for, I’ve already got an axle back exhaust and I’m planning to order a RA snorkel soon
MY09 CJ VR Lancer (soon to be turbo’d)

User avatar
sarusa
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution
Posts: 885
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:22 pm
Location: melbourne

Re: Just bought a new Lancer and need some advice

Postby sarusa » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:43 pm

If you want to keep your warranty intact, even just for starters, I was told by my Mitsubishi dealers service center
That fitting an RA inlet snorkel was OK and a muffler was fine. Ra snorkel new from Mitsubishi $175 new, a really
worthwhile mod: As good and in many cases better than a pod filter, Standard filter is fine equal to most of the others.
Muffler suggest 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch either from standard 2 inch mid pipe or check to see if 2 1/4 or 21/2 inch mid pipe will be OK warranty wise.
These mods can give you a modest gain in power. app: 2kw.
With even just the RA snorkel giving you a better sounding, smoother responsive, sweeter engine.

User avatar
jjb
Lancer ES/EX
Lancer ES/EX
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:59 am
Location: Wide Bay, QLD

Re: Just bought a new Lancer and need some advice

Postby jjb » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:03 pm

ReidVR wrote:Nice, that’s kind of what I’m looking for, I’ve already got an axle back exhaust and I’m planning to order a RA snorkel soon


Out of a performance filter and the snorkel, yo'll get noticeably more gains with the snorkel. I'd still recommend doing both though :lol:

Frostlord
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Re: Just bought a new Lancer and need some advice

Postby Frostlord » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:52 am

jjb wrote:Hey, and welcome!

As others have said, there's a few good mods to do to give your Lancer a bit more oomphf :lol:

First, and best place to start, I suggest you check out this thread;

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=18186

Toward the end, I posted a website where I found the best price for an RA Snorkel.. K&N (or similar) filters are pretty easy to find on eBay. Got mine for about $76

Anyway, look forward to seeing your ride, and finding out what mods you do to it :D


Thanks for the link, it's really helpful, especially because I'm really new to all this.

Frostlord
Lancer Learner
Lancer Learner
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:48 pm

Re: Just bought a new Lancer and need some advice

Postby Frostlord » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:54 am

sarusa wrote:If you want to keep your warranty intact, even just for starters, I was told by my Mitsubishi dealers service center
That fitting an RA inlet snorkel was OK and a muffler was fine. Ra snorkel new from Mitsubishi $175 new, a really
worthwhile mod: As good and in many cases better than a pod filter, Standard filter is fine equal to most of the others.
Muffler suggest 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch either from standard 2 inch mid pipe or check to see if 2 1/4 or 21/2 inch mid pipe will be OK warranty wise.
These mods can give you a modest gain in power. app: 2kw.
With even just the RA snorkel giving you a better sounding, smoother responsive, sweeter engine.



Cheers mate. That's the other thing I forgot to ask about, what I can mod on my car without voiding the warranty.
Good to hear that snorkel and muffler won't be a problem

User avatar
sarusa
Lancer Evolution
Lancer Evolution
Posts: 885
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:22 pm
Location: melbourne

Re: Just bought a new Lancer and need some advice

Postby sarusa » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:06 am

Frostlord wrote:
sarusa wrote:If you want to keep your warranty intact, even just for starters, I was told by my Mitsubishi dealers service center
That fitting an RA inlet snorkel was OK and a muffler was fine. Ra snorkel new from Mitsubishi $175 new, a really
worthwhile mod: As good and in many cases better than a pod filter, Standard filter is fine equal to most of the others.
Muffler suggest 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch either from standard 2 inch mid pipe or check to see if 2 1/4 or 21/2 inch mid pipe will be OK warranty wise.
These mods can give you a modest gain in power. app: 2kw.
With even just the RA snorkel giving you a better sounding, smoother responsive, sweeter engine.



Cheers mate. That's the other thing I forgot to ask about, what I can mod on my car without voiding the warranty.
Good to hear that snorkel and muffler won't be a problem


I"m not qualified to say won't re warranty but rather what I have been told by my Mitsu dealer, who I was refered to when I rang Mitsubishi to get an answer. :)


Return to “NEW MEMBERS”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests